1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assessing year 2 mid year

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lillipad, Feb 8, 2012.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Hi all,
    I'd like to do some half way assessments on my class... and am wondering if it is ok to use a past sats paper to do this as a practice or if there is some other way I should go about this. I'd almost like a snap shot of how they are performing rather than assessing what is going on in class which a lot of the time has had some sort of support or feedback given. Any suggestions?

2. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Hi all,
    I'd like to do some half way assessments on my class... and am wondering if it is ok to use a past sats paper to do this as a practice or if there is some other way I should go about this. I'd almost like a snap shot of how they are performing rather than assessing what is going on in class which a lot of the time has had some sort of support or feedback given. Any suggestions?

3. I have used 2004 English and Maths papers with my Y2s, and am going to use 2007 before the end of the term. Then the "real" tests will be the 2009 papers. My headteacher told me to do this, and it helps them get used to the layout of the papers. With the 2004 tests, we did them together and they could ask as many questions as they wanted, so it didn't seem that scary to them! As we get towards the real things, I'll make it a bit more formal. You can download most of the past papers form the web, 2003 and 2005 are also available. Hope that helps!

4. Yup, we do that. Helps the children no end in a 'test' situation when the real thing happens.

5. Yes I would say this is quite common from moderation meetings etc that I've been to.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

As there are two sets of SATs papers available to use for official assessment, it is quite common for one set to be used nowish and one later in the summer. Just check which one your school has ordered for the summer and use the other.

We are doing the same a couple of weeks into next term.

7. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Well I have put a set aside for each end of year assessment, so i'm OK to go ahead and use other years as 'practice' assessments. Minnie you say about " 2 sets being available for official assessments" - are these just past papers or is there another 2 available? I would really like to see what the kids can do without me as they have tended to rely on me quite heavily and i'm looking to see how it matches my own assessments!

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I don't know exactly, as you know I'm new to year 2 as well. But I know we had a choice of two sets to use for end of year assessments. No idea what else is about.

9. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Oh I see! Ok, well i've put a set aside for later in the year which are from a past paper, so I was told i'm OK to use any of the others I might need during the year. I'm glad to see other people are planning to do one next half term too.. I don't feel like such a meanie now ha.

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Do read all the guidance for the tests. Children are allowed quite a lot of help, or what seems like help to me coming from year 6 SATs.

11. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

As I understand it you can use either 2007 or 2009 for the offical tasks and tests, or even a combination of both. For example you might use 2007 for Maths and 2009 for Writing and Reading, all elements of one are need to be from the same year though so short writing, long writing and spelling must be the same.
    This means you can use the other for a practice or any prior to 2007.

12. Just to clarify you CANNOT use tests from both years for your official SATs. You can do as you like for past papers, but you must choose either the 2009 or the 2007 for your official assessments. I'm sure it says that in the guidance books somewhere!

:)

13. clawthorpegirl

Am sure we were told at some training last year that you can use tasks and tests from both as long as you don't within same subject area. So, as I posted Maths could be 2007, Writing all elements from 2009.
    Didn't actually end up doing this as Head had ordered all 2009!

14. clawthorpegirl

It's been bugging me so have found this years Assessment and Reporting Procedures online and it states
    4.1 Choosing which tasks and tests to use
    <font size="3" face="Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro">Schools must use the 2007 and 2009 Key Stage 1 National Curriculum tests. They may have been ordered from the NCA tools website at www.education.gov.uk/ncatools or previously supplied by QCDA. The following table may help teachers decide which task or test materials are most appropriate. There is flexibility about which years&rsquo; tests can be administered, as teachers may choose to administer the 2007 tests to some children in the class and 2009 tests to others. However, teachers must ensure that for the writing tasks, the longer and shorter tasks and spelling test are from the same year. </font>
    <font size="3" face="Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro">You can find it here https://orderline.education.gov.uk/gempdf/1445951940/STA125570p_Assessment_and_reporting_arrangements_key_stage_1.pdf
    </font>

15. Ah! I've been doing SATs with Y2 for years and have always been told (from similar sounding assessment courses!) that you must only choose one and stick to it! Though why on earth anybody would want to give some children 07 and some 09 is beyond me, sounds like a lot of hard work!

Thanks for clarification :) You learn something new every day!

16. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Because, especially in infant schools, it is good for the data to give children the test/task that will most appeal to them. That way they do as well as possible.

Though I would consider giving one paper for maths and a different for reading, I think I'd give the entire class the same year paper.

17. There is no reason to fear the Year 2 SATS. You only need to do them, you don't need to report the levels. We don't do any practice papers, as I really don't see why you would need to! I want to keep the amount of SATs papers the children have to do to the absolute minimum as they way you have to make them work goes against everything we tell them about how to work in class.
    We use APP, and the maths SATs gives results that are far higher so we take them with a big pinch of salt and really just use them as a diagnostic tool to help spot common gaps. We did our Maths SATs papers today and in my class I have 6 Level 3s and loads of 2as and 2bs! Certainly doesn't equate with my APP, as there is so little using and applying in the Level 2 SATs.

18. We haven't done a practise SAT in a few years and am planning on doing one in March; my bursar and I were wondering whether it would be cheaper to buy a set in or photocopy a previous year. She phoned someone who handles the papers and was told that under no circumstances were the chn to be involved in more than one SAT paper. So I photocopied ;0)
    Love the idea of doing all together then next time round a bit more formal. And interesting to hear you can mix the papers as we are very story orientated after receiving Pie Corbett training and 2009 writing paper doesn't support the chn who know jack about nocturnal animals, and would mean having to add in a unit of work for the sake of the SAT

19. greenpaddy

greenpaddy New commenter

Our guidance from County was 2007 or 2009 and if do 2007 reading, must do 2007 writing. However not all chilldren who you assess for a level 2 have to do the reading test, if you feel, that they will not cope with the test, then you can do the reading task with them. This is for L2C/ 2B and of course Level 1.

20. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Sorry but that isn't true section 8 of the ARA
    http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/pdf/k/assessment%20and%20reporting%20arrangements%20key%20stage%201.pdf
    "There is flexibility about which years&rsquo; tests can be
    administered, as teachers may choose to administer the 2007 tests to some children in the
    class and 2009 tests to others. However, teachers must ensure that for the writing tasks, the
    longer and shorter tasks and spelling test are from the same year".