1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assessing writing

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Aladdin2, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Aladdin2

Aladdin2 New commenter

Hello fellow teachers.

Has anyone out there devised an up to date model for assessing children's writing. I have the last STA document and I'm afraid that this doesn't help in creating the new results without levels.
    Any positive guidance would be most appreciated (for me and about another 60,000 schools I guess)

In anticipation

2. MisterE83

MisterE83 New commenter

Not positive I'm afraid.

Went to a course about it today.

The children have to achieve ALL the criteria in the set sections to achieve "working AT age related". Including spelling legible handwriting.

Therefore those children who are very good writers but struggle with spelling will not achieve ARE.

Slightly panicking.

3. Aladdin2

Aladdin2 New commenter

What are you using in your school Gareth?

My L/A advisor has given me this link:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...frameworks_at_the_end_of_key_stage_2_PDFA.pdf

There is 1 page on assessing writing ?!?!?!?!?!?

It also states that it is "an interim teacher assessment framework" following the removal of levels.

If this were (the subjunctive form!!) the private sector, the idiot who is supposed to be supporting all teachers in this country would be sacked due to the unacceptable delays and lack of information flow to the 100,000 plus teachers affected by this.

Is it any wonder that teachers are leaving?

perplexed!!!

4. thehawk

thehawk Occasional commenter

in reading, you can read or you can't. simples!

5. Aladdin2

Aladdin2 New commenter

Genius!!

6. Aladdin2

Aladdin2 New commenter

.... and the thread was about 'writing'

7. dillydinsoaur

dillydinsoaur New commenter

I know people have mixed reviews on it, but Ros Wilson 'Big Writing' have developed new criteria checklists which are possibly over-detailed but gives you a good idea of progression.
    Think you have to attend a CPD event to get hold of them though