1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assessing writing confusion

Discussion in 'Primary' started by nicolabrown101, Apr 18, 2016.

1. nicolabrown101

nicolabrown101 New commenter

Hi, can anyone shed any light on how to assess writing in Y1, 3, 4 and 5? At the minute we are using age related expectations but do the children have to tick off all of them to be meeting ARE? If so then a lot of my children will not meet just on the spelling aspects. Also, if they have to spell the Y3/4 words by the end of year, how do we split up which words they should know by the end of year 3? I can't expect them to know all of these at this point in Y3 surely? Then there is the issue of evidence, and how many times we need to have seen something to say they are secure in it. Not to mention if it can be classed as independent work or not?! I am so confused!

2. Calamity54321

Calamity54321 New commenter

I'm of the understanding that it is up to individual schools to determine how children are assessed. Is it reasonable to expect most children to achieve all of the objectives? 75%? 50%? All of the KPIs, but others not assessed?

With spelling, is 40% of the list a reasonable target at the end of Year 3, with the target moving to 60% by the end of Year 4? Or should Year 3 children spell them all individually by the end of the year, with Year 4 spelling and using them correctly in context?

My school do 75% of KPIs, and 60% of spelling words by the end of the year.

3. thehawk

thehawk Occasional commenter

It is up to schools to determine, as said above, but it has to be whole school policy. Really, this should all be in place by now as you need to report on every child's progress at the end of the year, and if you don't know how you are measuring it yet, its going to be very hard to do that. Kick some SLT ass!!

4. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I think most teachers in most schools are feeling a bit clueless about this. I sure am! Given that the government only told us what to expect in y6 3 months ago, I doubt most schools are completely clear on expectations in the other year groups.

The spelling thing is farcical. Our LA have told us to just have the words on display or in word banks when the kids are writing!!

5. therunningman

therunningman New commenter

I would have thought most schools would have something in place by now! We are calling 85% understanding in each subject as meeting expectations, including for writing.

This is something your English coordinator and leadership team should hopefully have decided as a whole school.

6. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

But why that number? How many times do they have to do it completely independently to get it ticked. What things are you ticking off? The objectives are split across two year groups.

7. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

Agreed. Know the curriculum, know the 'interim statements' or whatever they're called, but most importantly know the child's ability and make a professional judgement based on that knowledge. There should be more than enough evidence in their books across the year.

Yes, it's a bit hit and miss this year, but so what? I say this child is where they should be. There are the books. Go on, prove me wrong!