1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assessing Science. What do you use?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by LyndaP, Feb 19, 2012.

1. The title says it all.
    What do you use to assess children's progress in Science in KS1 & 2?
    Are you happy with it?
    All comments welcome [​IMG]

2. We are using the Northumberland Grid for Learning - Aiming High in Science. I took over Science this year and thought this was a great resource. It allows the child to assess themselves and then the teacher. I reasessed its use throughout the school after a term and decided its great in KS2 but instead of getting the KS1 children to tick the boxes they think they can do, they are going to do a smiley/sad face by the learning objective of each lesson and only the teacher fill in the assessment sheet. The assessment sheets are stuck into the science book for each topic. It has really got my class thinking about what they can and cant do. I used it after a recommendation from the forum! [​IMG]

3. Thanks, hay, I'll have a look.
    My KS1 colleagues have asked for help.

4. I use Rising Stars. At the end of every unit the children can be assessed and it provides a sub level. It can be used to assess the children's prior knowledge of a topic i.e. provides a baseline level and it can be used to assess the children's SC1 knowledge and understanding. The book also has a grid that the children can use at the end of every unit to self assess themselves using faces. The only problem I have found with these tests is that the children's levels in my opinion are too high. Hope this helps!

5. peppermint25

peppermint25 New commenter

I too am looking for assessment resources for science. Is the Northumberland Grid for Learning - Aiming High in Science free to download and browse or does it have to be purchased? I can't seem to find any access to the links when searching on google.

6. GemsEYFS

GemsEYFS New commenter

For the Northumberland grids, would you ask the chidlren to tick where they were at the start and then at the end of the topic? Or would you get them to do it at the end of every session?
    I like the idea of these ( new coordinator also). Aiming high part in the childrens book, and then would you as the teacher keep the assessment criteria page? or do you put a copy into the childrens book at the end of a unit and highlight what level they are working at?

Thank you

7. GemsEYFS

GemsEYFS New commenter

What do you then use to asses th children? Do you ask them question related to assessment criteria? Or would you just use your teacher knowledge?

8. Thanks for the replies.

The 'Aiming High' materials look great, but I'm a bit concerned at having to spend 10 minutes per child to assess them. Is this at the end of each unit? If so, that works out at roughly 1 day at the end of each unit.
    The materials can be found at:
    http://ngfl.northumberland.gov.uk/Science/ks12assessment/kandu.htm

9. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Yes, we do ask them questions at the end of the unit. Maybe 10 minutes is a bit generous. My TA and I usually get through the whole class during two Science lessons.

10. I've used Northumberland and they are by far the most child-friendly. You can adapt them to differentiate by downloading the word versions and you can also ask children to give you examples to demonstrate their knowledge. For instance, 'I can name 3 plants' can be changed to 'I can name 3 plants, they are...'

Children find them easy to fill out and you can get a broad view of levels and where misconceptions within units arise.

11. We've moved away from the QCA units to make the science part of our creative curriculum. This has been brilliant, but has meant that we can't use any of the published assessment materials anymore as the topics often mix traditional science topics together- for example, our going for gold topic involves healthy living and forces.
    So this year, I've taken the child friendly levelled statements from Northumberland (but with more SC1 added) and made a grid matching their term's learning in the back of each child's book, to be highlighted as the topic progresses. In KS2, the SC2,3,4 elements tend to be assessed using testbase questions, in KS1 it's through discussion. The SC1 focus is on each investigation plan, so that by the end of the topic the grids in the back have been highlighted to give a secure level.
    It seems to be working well so far, and teachers have also commented that it helps them to know where they're going with the topic, and how to support LA and HA.

12. Thanks for the replies.[​IMG]
    I'm thinking it would be an idea to trial the Northumberland materials with my yr group. I'll also suggest them to my KS1 colleagues to try out.
    Terry, your materials look super for an end of year assessment to go alongside teacher assessment - thank you [​IMG]

13. Hi..
    Have just spent more than a couple of hours looking for the Aiming High I can science assessments from the Northumberland site and can't locate them anywhere. Came across this thread and clicked on link from one of the above posts and they appear not to be there!
    Am I going mad or have they been taken off? If so, does anyone have any of the Year 5/6 assessment units they could email me? Initially I'm looking for the one on micro organisms.

Thanks.

14. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

It would seem they have been taken down and are not available - what a shame that these useful resources just disappear. [​IMG]
    However, our lovely Bev Evans who is a valuable contributor to TES and has her own website has science materials, free to download, that include I Can statements up to Level 5 as well as other amazing science resources (Can you tell I'm a fan?! [​IMG])
    http://www.communication4all.co.uk/HomePage.htm
    Click on Science in the left menu bar.

15. Hi
    Just wondering if you can let me know where I can get copy of these as I would like to use them in school and they seem to have been removed from the Northumberland site
    Thanks

16. Hi just wondering if anyone intends to change their assessments to suit the new "draft" curriculum or if you will just use current systems along side it?

17. <font face="Times New Roman">Hi</font><font face="Times New Roman">Have you had any luck with tracking down the aiming high resources. I have been searching since the beginning of term. Have been searching the National Archives (apparently thats where they have gone!) but have found nothing. I would really appreciate any year 6 topics you have copies of ;especially micro-organisms as we are doing that now. </font><font face="Times New Roman"> </font><font size="3">Jo Marlow</font><font face="Times New Roman" size="3"> </font> missjpiper@hotmail.co.uk

18. If you go onto my resources I have uploaded them all on there on one document

19. Hi, I have also been looking for the 'aiming high' resources from Northumberland for Y5 & Y6. I can't find your upload in resources, am I just missing it?

20. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

what's going on here? Have the uploaded resources been deleted because the stuff is now being charged for?