1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assessing reading

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lillipad, Jan 26, 2011.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Trying to get to grips with my reading assessments. During guided reading i've taken notes and tried to link these to the AFs, but am not 100% sure about children's levels / if they've made progress!
    Ideally,I need some time with children to listen to each one read and assess for myself and discuss with them as an individual with no one butting in, but am thinking this would take a long time, and would leave the class without a teacher!

How do you make your assessment in guided reading effective enough that you know where they are? because I feel mine is suffering at the moment.

Thanks

2. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Trying to get to grips with my reading assessments. During guided reading i've taken notes and tried to link these to the AFs, but am not 100% sure about children's levels / if they've made progress!
    Ideally,I need some time with children to listen to each one read and assess for myself and discuss with them as an individual with no one butting in, but am thinking this would take a long time, and would leave the class without a teacher!

How do you make your assessment in guided reading effective enough that you know where they are? because I feel mine is suffering at the moment.

Thanks

3. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

Listening to them read would only be covering one or two of the AF's.

I assess by groups similar level children together and we use grids that have the AF's broken into the sublevels. I date when they have met the objective. The grids have room to record 6 children at a time.

The previous year's teacher reported their levels by their reading and not the AF's and this makes it so much harder. As some children are great at the actual mechanics of reading, but cannot discuss characters, plot, features of texts etc.

Maybe ask for some clarity from your head or assessment co-ordinator.

4. Hi, what do you use to assess reading comprehension? At present we are using NFERs which are very old. Is there abything morer current?
    Marie