1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assessing reading levels? Help please...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ESLAB, May 16, 2012.

1. ESLAB

ESLAB New commenter

Hi, I would love some advice on how to assess the reading levels in my class (I'm a NQT in a mixed Year 1 and 2 class). Our school use the Read, Write, Inc programme for Literacy (which covers 1:1 reading, guided reading) and so I really don't feel as though I have a handle on most of my class as I don't teach them. I listen to them read once every half term to assess whether they need to go up a Home Reading Book band and I do the end of every half term RWI assessment to see if they need to go up a group. Until now, I have been giving their levels according to both the RWI levels and the Home Reader levels (which pretty much match up). However, I have recently been told that this isn't good enough as it doesn't include their comprehension and that the way around this is to start doing small guided reading groups (which of course squeezes the timetable and so do I stop doing PE or Science etc). What to do? My Year 2s, because of SATs, I will be doing a 1:1 Reading Task with them - although I do realise this is supposed to assist my Teacher Assessment rather than inform it! If anyone has any suggestions, both for the end of this year and how to take my assessment forward next year, I would be extremely grateful. Thanks.

2. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I know nothing about read write inc, so I could be wrong, but we always send home a book band easier than the level the child is working on in class. The idea is that the teacher can use the slightly more challenging text to teach, then an easier text goes home to consolidate where they don't get the same level of teaching and scaffolding. Are you not using APP? That's how I assess my guided read. My comprehension feeds into my APP sheets. As you have year 2 - the reading paper should give you a rough level, then if you feel unsure do the tasks to back it up.

3. As an NQT you need to ask your mentor or the LIt co for help. We didn't buy into Read write INc completely as found it too inflexible and wanted us to completely throw out things we knew worked in our school - sturdy guided reading sessions based on AFl of the reading strands (and general teacher creativity!) Find out what your colleagues do. They can't say it's not good enough (if they bought the scheme and insist you stick to it by the letter) but not show you what is better in your setting. :)

4. RWI does cover comprehension - in the questions at the end of each book. I'm working with Y1/2/3s and the find it/prove it questions can be quite tricky.
    There are various guides available through a google search which show RWI levels - from memory - set 5 (yellow) is 2c, set 6 - 2b, set 7 2a+.

5. ESLAB

ESLAB New commenter

Thanks for your replies. Bloott, just to clarify, are you happy that RWI covers comprehension 'enough' and if so, does that mean that you use the RWI levels to level your children for reading? Thanks for confirming this.