1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assessing reading and reading difficulties at KS2

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by pottyparrot, Nov 20, 2011.

1. I have to write an assignment where i assess a childs reading and plan a lesson to help an aspect of reading a child needs to improve, however most of my learning so far is about reading at KS1, so I dont know what kind of things KS2 children often have difficulty with.

My target child seems to read fluently most of the time and rarely miscues, so I'm struggling to think what to do for her. Does anyone know any common issues at KS2 so I know what kind of thing I should be looking for.

:)

2. In my KS2 class some of the strongest readers struggle to put in any feeling when reading aloud, so they sound quite robotic. If this is the case with your target child you could plan a lesson looking at how to use intonation to make questions sound like questions, exciting bits seem exciting, do different voice for different speakers etc. They need to learn to scan ahead for punctuation clues.
    Hope this helps!