1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assessing RE?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by milliebear, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Hi there

I am the new RE coordinator at my school. Traditionally, we have done little about assessing progress in the subject, and there is currently no procedure for doing so across the year groups - only what individual teachers decide to do.
    We are due an Ofsted early next year and I am wondering what the impact of having no assessment records in this area is likely to be. We use APP across all subjects except RE, so this would be the obvious route to take I think, if we do need to assess progress.
    All thoughts/advice/experience welcome!

2. Hi there

I am the new RE coordinator at my school. Traditionally, we have done little about assessing progress in the subject, and there is currently no procedure for doing so across the year groups - only what individual teachers decide to do.
    We are due an Ofsted early next year and I am wondering what the impact of having no assessment records in this area is likely to be. We use APP across all subjects except RE, so this would be the obvious route to take I think, if we do need to assess progress.
    All thoughts/advice/experience welcome!

3. Any use?
    http://www.eriding.net/re/agreed_syllabus_2011/pages/progression-and-attainment/assessing-pupils-progress-record-sheets.pdf

4. It is, although I am less concerned about adding to the grids - which should be fairly easy to do using the NC - more about the implications of not having assessment paperwork to show.

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

The last thing OFSTED will be interested in is assessment data for RE! We had them in just before the end of term and they didn't even look at any assessment data for anything other than English and Maths. We are a church school and don't assess RE!

6. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Sorry, just read my last post and it sounds rather dismissive! We do have "I can statements" for our Agreed syllabus and we keep a portfolio of levelled examples for these but at the moment that's it. ( However we do have a Section 48 inspection in September, so will find out then if they expect any more than this!)
    http://community.lincolnshire.gov.uk/Files/Community/546/SectionD.pdf might be of help

7. pooped

pooped New commenter

I would have thought unless you are in a catholic school, assessing Re or not is not an issue

8. I think this will depend on whether assessment is a focus of inspection. If all subject areas aren't involved with school initiatives like APP, then that could be an issue then.You could say to your headteacher that you would like to go on a course about developing assessment in RE - RE Today regularly run these - and this would flag up your awareness of the situation and that you are prepared to do something about it as co-ordinator.

9. Sally_90

Sally_90 Occasional commenter

A sheet for each topic with the 'Required Outcomes' listed. At the end of each half-term, highlight each statement with an agreed colour scheme to show those understood by most of the children/ some of the children or only partly covered/none of the children or not covered. Underneath, list the children who exceeded expectations and those who didn't. Under that, a box for the teacher to make brief notes/observations for future use.Once these sheets are in place and kept in a file, each teacher just needs to take a few minutes at the end of every half- term to make a copy, do the highlighting, list the children and make brief notes.

10. Thank you for all input - I agree, by the way, that RE assessment is a minor concern. The last thing I want to do is saddle my overworked colleagues with extra work. But - I do want to make sure mine is not the 'weak spot' in our paperwork!
    At the moment, we don't even have examples of levelled work - although we do have an 'examples' folder (which i inherited). I could get examples from everyone's books next term and level them muself I guess - then I could put together a folder. Wish I'd thought to take examples before all the books went home now!
    Thanks again.

11. More fool your school then. When you have your church school inspection, about 2 weeks after OFSTED visit, assessment in RE WILL be looked at. OFSTED don't look at it, but the church people do. We are a C of E school and had made a good start on assessing RE - we still got OUTSTANDING in our church inspection though.

12. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

They didn't look at assessment last time we had a Church inspection. Certainly they might this time, which is why we have made a start on levelled portfolio work.