1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assessing pupils work throughly (observation)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jameswalker12, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I would like some tips and advice on assessing pupils work thorougly and how to do this, especially in observations. Should I have the children's names typed out on paper and record whether the children understood the task? Apparently it is all about evidence and being able to show this at the end of the lesson, however, I need some more ideas and tips. Can anyone recommend the best way for me to do this?
    Cheers

2. skellig1182

skellig1182 New commenter

We use our success criteria and either me or the children highlight them. Its at that point where they know what their next step is. If its all highlighted then they made the progress expected. It's good to bring the chn back during the plenary and get them doing something on the whiteboard to show that they can do it.
    It does depend on your year group. I have year 1 and in every maths and english lesson i mark most of the books (with the child present). I show them what they did right and what they could improve on. They then go and work on it in the same lesson thus achievening their target. If they have finished their work, I give them an extended challenge and they normally go and finish. I find that the work is always finished, marked and the children further challenged. I think the key to a good lesson is keeping a close eye on the class and supporting/ extending the chn when needed. If any chn havent met the objective by the end of the lesson, ill have the books in my hand and they will complete it that day. Its got to be relevent and immediate to the child or i don't see what the point is. I never follow up the tick sheets ect and used to forget. Its just got to be sorted out asap!

I dont think a tick sheet would be neccessary for an observation. They want to see that you have ways of noticing who's off task, not going to meet the objective, throughout the lesson and then act upon it.