1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assessing Pupils Using KPI's

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by coombe9, Jul 7, 2016.

1. coombe9

coombe9 New commenter

Here's the situation that maybe someone could help me with...

In my school, we have been assesssing using STAT, however recently we have refined it and used the KPI's recommended by the NAHT.

The question is - how many KPI's do people think constitutes "developing", "secure" or "exceeding" attainment?

At the moment, a child with 10 KPI's would have a score out of 30 (each KPI being worth 1,2 or 3 points). I have set the spreadsheets to calculate 50-74% as "secure" and anything above that as "exceeding".

This has given me some good data, which creates a postitive picture, but there doesn't seem to be any guidelines as what these percentages should be. Is it purely for me as English lead to decide? Governor approval? One part of me thinks 50-74% is too low a score, but maybe with the demands of a tougher, new curriculum and the national scores just attained by Y6, perhaps I am on the right lines.

Thanks in advance for any help you may have.

2. steff_redd

steff_redd New commenter

Hello,

There is currently no guidance and schools are free to design their own internal tracking systems.

Personally, I would argue that the KPIs are essentially the 'non-negotiables' and would expect a child to have achieved 100% of these to be considered as 'secure'. If you were assessing against the entire curriculum and not just the KPIs, then 50-74% would be a more realistic figure.

Steph
    http://www.pupilasset.com/

3. krisgreg30

krisgreg30 Occasional commenter

I know this is a late reply to your original post but I would also suggest that assessing against just KPI's is a dangerous assessment system as it will tempt teachers to narrow down their curriculum to just ensure they tick off all the KPI's.

As Steff posted you would be looking for them to be non-negotiable though I would suggest 90-100% as there may always be one they struggle with you then looking for around the 70-75% mark of the curriculum in general to say they are secure.