1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assessing pupils below NC standards

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by paulmarkj, Jan 29, 2020.

1. paulmarkj

paulmarkj New commenter

I have been reviewing the assessments for our pupils below NC standards, these two documents give details of the assessments:

"Pre-key stage 1: pupils working below the national curriculum assessment standard"
    "Pre-key stage 2: pupils working below the national curriculum assessment standard"

What tools do people use to assess and record these assessments?

I work in a special school and I don't find them particularly useful, but they are mandatory. They seem to be end of KS1 and end of KS2, so we don't use them to inform planning.

Does anyone have any views?

2. nicebutdim23

nicebutdim23 New commenter

Did you find any answers?

3. R13

R13 Occasional commenter

My views on the pre KS standards are that they are of no value to most special school pupils . . . . The Rochford review saw a number of weaknesses in the use of P Levels . . . . and threw them out for most students replacing them with something much worse!

For what it is worth I think the Rochford review did cause a very valuable curriculum debate in special schools . . . . it was on assessment they let us down.

The advice is that Special Schools should be assessing pupils in relation to what they are teaching them (What they need) - and spend as little time on the pre KS standards as possible

4. lcp_teaching_resources

lcp_teaching_resources New commenter

At LCP, they offer a tool to assess children working below the National Curriculum. It takes both the pre-keystage standards and the National Curriculum but breaks the National Curriculum back into tiny, manageable steps. This goes all the way back to the same sort of level as P1-4 all the way through to KS3. If you would like more information, go our website www.lcp.co.uk and request a free demo.