1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assessing pupils arriving mid-year

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by cmpack77, Nov 26, 2016.

1. cmpack77

cmpack77 New commenter

I work in a school overseas and, as a result, our population is pretty transient. We are moving away from fixed assessment tests and much more towards tracking and assessing from marking, evidence in books and observations. We are currently using Learning Ladders (with a few tweaks to make it work for us) BUT it relies on a Start of Year score in order to then be able to asses progress each term. What I'd like to know is, how would you assess pupils who arrive mid-year without bombarding them with tests?
    Any ideas appreciated :)
    Thanks

2. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

one day of intensive testing... to be frank, the last 10 or so new arrivals in my school have been pretty easy to test and ases, none spoke a word of English so testing was pretty short

3. mrmatt73

mrmatt73 Occasional commenter

We do CATs and an English reading test on their registration day. When they start, if there are any teacher concerns as time goes on, we would investigate and test further. (The CATs would determine whether the student is SEND or not in the first place)

4. cmpack77

cmpack77 New commenter

Thanks for the replies - does anyone else have the same issue with Learning Ladders?