1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assessing pupil progress

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by alt1979, Feb 10, 2011.

1. I have got a lesson observation and have just been told that we need to show pupil progress at least every 20 mins. I know that Im being observed for the first half of the lesson. Can anyone suggest some subtle ideas so that kids don't say "We don't usually do this".

2. It sounds like you're being observed by a complete idiot who knows nothing about learning. So prime the class being observed to do this: every 20 minutes, stop the class and tell them something random, and get them all to say "ooooohhhhhhhhh, NOW I understand!"

3. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

Or half way mark - ask blatantly 'tell me what you know / can do / understand now that you did not know/ could do / understand /wwhen you came into the room !!!! OR 'how much better are you at ???? now than when we started the lesson' - or better still and in the spirit of ' good questioning insert tre word ' might ' - indictes that there is more than one response and the children are contemplating it - my only problem with this is that the students willl describe an activity - ie 'doing' rather than 'learning'

4. we spend most of our INSETs trying to address this... apparently it is the new OFSTED method of grading lessons. good luck. I agree with my pre poster... ask the pupils a basic question from the learning objectives / do a mini plenary and ask them to rate themselves... thumbs up down or halfway... or something similar. Apparently that will suffice with OFSTED too.

5. ] Says who? Yet another Ofsted myth does the rounds. The evaluation schedule which you can download at http://bit.ly/4ctJcH says nothing about 'assessing every 20 minutes'.
    This also tells me that the meaning of assessment isn't understood by people who are perpetuating this utter nonsense.
    Really good assessment happens all the time, not in designated slots. When a teacher asks a question, s/he is assessing. When pupils check their learning against success criteria, they are assessing.
    The quality of teaching overall is improving, but a growing problem in lessons is the tick-box approach to assessment. If the thumbs up or down thing is used in a lesson for example, it has to be for a reason, not to tick the assessment for learning box in a lesson observation form.

6. thistledoo

thistledoo Senior commenter

It is not a myth that you have to show pupil progress in Ofsted observed 20 mins, it is unfortunately, fact. I agree with pre-posters, stop and ask questions and do the thumbs-up/down for student understanding. I'm not saying I agree with it, just how it is. We have just had an inspection and student progress in lessons was high on the agenda.