1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assessing Pupil Progress (APP)

Discussion in 'Music' started by emma_watson225, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Just a general shout-out!
    Recently I attended a national conference that lauded APP and even said that "it was coming" i.e. it would be something that would become statutory for all subjects.
    Currently my school does not use APP, and the Dept of Education also said it was not going to be statutory for the time being (although Ofsted really like it!)
    Having done some background reading, I'm wondering whether anyone has any comments on it - do you currently implement it? Any advantages/disadvantages?

2. Golly, your post raises so many questions! Firstly, If you are not using some system of app what are you using? Are you doing pupil tracking? Are you assessing using the national curriculum levels? I've been in my current school 2 years and before that, at my previous school we were already having our arms broken over this.

I'm not saying that I like it, I regard it more as something I manage not to do too much of rather than an indespensable tool, and especially in the creative arts a one-size-fits-all method of teaching seems to me to be a mistake. There are, and should be, a wide range of approaches to teaching music - it literally is NOT ROCKET SCIENCE.

Im surprised, however, to hear about any school that is not in the process at least of taking this on board.

3. Just like to retract all of the above comments! I,m tired and I'll and mistook APP for that other assessment thing, AfL was it? Anyway I don,t see how APP is going to work in music when each teacher approaches the subject in a unique way under curriculum that is so loose that you cna teach just about anything and get away with it.

I mean, I have a whole unit on Badger Worrying which has hardly any musical content at all but which meets at least five points of the revised National Curriculum for Music.

Sound like APP is yet another of those initiatives that I will have to put valuable time and energy into avoiding whilst making it look that I am, in fact, embracing it whole heartedly.

4. It's OK, we're nearly at the end of half term! Of course we are using AfL :) Having done some research on it though, it seems that one of its advantages is that is promotes standardisation as well as focusing upon skills. Last year on the PGCE it was mentioned, and only have I thought about it again since being on a recent course. I'm not suggesting that it will be a good system - more interested in though to hear of anyone who has tried to use it and, after the initial set up time, whether it is as beneficial as many say. Hope you slept well though! :)

5. There is stuff about APP including a grid on the NAME website.