1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assessing Numeracy

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by twelvty.weasels, Mar 21, 2017.

1. twelvty.weasels

twelvty.weasels New commenter

Hi all,
    I've just become the numeracy coordinator in my school (SEN Primary in Scotland) and am wondering what other schools are doing to assess/track numeracy?
    Mainstream assessments are too much for our pupils.
    Any advice, you lovely people?!
    Thanks!

2. mrmatt73

mrmatt73 Occasional commenter

Sandwell Early Numeracy Test KS2 - KS3 may be what you're looking for. It covers P-Scales upwards.

3. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

There is also a Sandwell KS1 Numeracy Test.

4. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

Have you looked at Les Staves' work? or Pete Imray? They are both gurus of the special world. Les Staves has some interesting stuff on his web pages that might be a good starting point.
    http://www.veryspecialmaths.co.uk/

Boogum likes this.
  5. ChrisJButler

ChrisJButler New commenter

we use MaLT tests (Mathematics Assessment for Teaching and Learning) from Hodder. Bit dated now, but cover a very wide range with different tests based on where they are individually.

6. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

I would agree with @mrmatt73 and @Wotton with recommending the Sandwell tests. As well as generating a standardised score and number age they can also be used more diagnostically to identify key gaps and misconceptions.