1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assessing Maths in cross-curriculum lesson

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by rucksack, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Hello!

I am involved in cross-curriculum lessons being taught to Y7's. As the only full-time Maths teacher involved I am responsible for the assessment of their progress in Maths. I am finding it difficult to come up with an easy to follow way of doing this.
    So far ideas are, writing a short SATs type test that covers any topic areas we've covered; printing of lists of level criteria for the kids to tick off; or designing a project that links in with the theme that could be assessed in terms of skills as well as content.
    The third one seems the best but I have no idea about how to go about it. The test is probably not great as they do this in their normal Maths lessons anyway, and we will have that data for them. Is the list to tick off good enough? Will it stand up to Ofsted as the only form of assessment of their Maths levels?
    Has anybody done anything similar? Or got any comments about any of the ideas so far?
    Any thought much appreciated.
    Thank you :)

2. Hello!

I am involved in cross-curriculum lessons being taught to Y7's. As the only full-time Maths teacher involved I am responsible for the assessment of their progress in Maths. I am finding it difficult to come up with an easy to follow way of doing this.
    So far ideas are, writing a short SATs type test that covers any topic areas we've covered; printing of lists of level criteria for the kids to tick off; or designing a project that links in with the theme that could be assessed in terms of skills as well as content.
    The third one seems the best but I have no idea about how to go about it. The test is probably not great as they do this in their normal Maths lessons anyway, and we will have that data for them. Is the list to tick off good enough? Will it stand up to Ofsted as the only form of assessment of their Maths levels?
    Has anybody done anything similar? Or got any comments about any of the ideas so far?
    Any thought much appreciated.
    Thank you :)