1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assessing gross motor skills

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by tambie, Nov 20, 2011.

1. I would like to understand the development of gross/fine motor skills better. I've read lots of great ideas on the forum such as writing on vertical surfaces etc and have introduced lots of these but how do I know which children need which activities? I've tried out some finger gym ideas and most children in my class have very poor finger strength and control but I don't know how to assess the other aspects of gross motor skills.
    Hope someone can help
    Thanks

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Two really simple "tests"
    child stand with arms out to the side at shoulder height [​IMG]rotate arms forwards then backwards (windmills) a child with poor should stability will struggle and needs work to enable correct writing

using an ordinary hoop bowl the hoop forward ... child who struggles has shoulder /wrist problems

3. Thanks for these Msz - I will give them a go with my class. Are shoulder stability, wrist strength and hand/finger strength the main things to target with children with poor motor skills?
    I had a look for the Jump Ahead stuff but you have to have training before buying the materials.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter