1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assessing foundation subjects

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Carolyne740, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Carolyne740

Carolyne740 New commenter

How do you assess foundation subjects in school? How often are they assessed and how do you ensure it doesn't add to teacher workload?

2. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

We never used to assess Foundation subjects and many of my HT colleagues did not do so either.

However following an Ofsted visit in September 2016 all that changed as we were heavily criticised for not doing so.

So we had to act quickly and we introduced a form of termly assessment for most of the subjects. I found a list of KPIs on the internet and used these on a spreadsheet so that teachers could colour code them as either working towards, working at or working in greater depth.

The idea was to make it as easy as possible for teachers to complete but at the same time keep Ofsted happy.

If you have a look at TES resources you can buy the KPI’s that I mentioned.

3. Elfassy1

Elfassy1 New commenter

Hello,
    Can u please send link to the foundation subjects KPIs and the tracking sheet if that is available.
    Thank you

4. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter