1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assessing bilingual children

Discussion in 'Primary' started by morrish4, Feb 26, 2011.

1. We have assessment week where the children complete reading, writing and maths optional SATs papers. I have a child who is new to the country and speaks little english so feel it is unfair to make her sit the papers, what other assessments can I do with her to see what she knows/doesn't know? Does anyone have experience of newly arrived children? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!
    M (Y4/5)

2. We have assessment week where the children complete reading, writing and maths optional SATs papers. I have a child who is new to the country and speaks little english so feel it is unfair to make her sit the papers, what other assessments can I do with her to see what she knows/doesn't know? Does anyone have experience of newly arrived children? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!
    M (Y4/5)