1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assessed Pieces of Work Per Year?

Discussion in 'English' started by rosieeo, Nov 10, 2015.

1. rosieeo

rosieeo New commenter

How many assessed pieces of work do you do a year? I'm drowning in 'essential' assessed pieces that have to be 'deep-marked' and wanted to know what the situation was like in other schools?

We do three deep-marked pieces per half term, plus mocks for Year 11. Am I alone in thinking that this is too much?

2. thethiefoftime

thethiefoftime Occasional commenter

We do one deep-marked piece per class per half-term. If it's an exam class, I may do additional pieces but that will be by choice. OR... I will get my students to highlight just one paragraph they want me to mark/give feedback on.

3. MissHallEnglish

MissHallEnglish Occasional commenter Forum guide and community helper

We do x2 marked pieces plus mock exams for KS4 classes per half term.
    At KS3: x1 deep marked assessment, x1 marked homework per half term & weekly spelling/punctuation test.

You are not alone in the world of 'drowning under a marking pile'....

4. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

We do x2 for Years 7 and 8. Then x3 for year 9.

Again, x3 for years 10 and 11. We only do mocks for Year 11 as it's pretty impossible to even consider mocks for year 10 right now.

For KS5 (year 12), we usually do x4 per term. One in 3 weeks, then one just before the half term. One after 2 weeks of coming back. Then last one the term's over so we can set them some heavy h/w over the long breaks.

This is one of the main reasons as to why I'm resigning as HoD after Christmas... I honestly can't take it on top of the new A-levels, KS4 and the new curriculum change for KS3! Oy vey!

5. yogapookey

yogapookey New commenter

We do 2 pieces of heavy marking per class per half term. Five classes of 30 students 150 pieces of work twice the every half, 300 pieces per half term. I asked whether we could not do them all at the same time but they all have to do them in week three and week 6. My suggestion of year 7 doing theirs in weeks 2 & 5 to help the workload was dismissed as the uninformed rambling of an NQT.

6. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

How silly. You were ahead of me then. Took me a good year or so before realising that taking in a giant Year 7 project on the same day as A-Level coursework drafts really was not good planning.

7. defenceagainstthedarkarts

defenceagainstthedarkarts Occasional commenter

No, you're not alone and I empathise.

I assess so much I feel I barely teach.