1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

assertive mentoring

Discussion in 'Primary' started by janiegr, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Hi can anyone help? We have just introduced assertive mentoring in school. We have been told that we have to meet with individual children every other term. Each meeting is expected to last for 10-15 minutes taking 4-5 hours to get through the class. I don't quite see what the children are getting out of this and cannot see how talking through an assessment test gives either them or me any useful information.Maybe I am missing the point!!! Can anyone help?

2. sounds horrible when phrased as assertive mentoring.
    Though I welcomed the chance to talk with the children who came to the open evening with their parents. Saying directly: "I am pleased with how well you are doing in x, y, or z... or ....How do you think you are doing in maths/reading/writing? To improve I think you need to do this....what can i do to help you?" is brilliant. You can see children glowing when you praise them infront of mum and dad... and they will know that YOU are really interested in THEM. You can't buy that.

3. I agree. Praising children in front of mum and dad is brilliant and 'having words' about attitudes to learning or behaviour is also very powerful. This, Assertive Mentoring, we are introducing is a 1:1 interview with children in school time, to discuss a recent test they have sat. The principal of assessing children and finding out where their gaps are, is useful and informative as a teacher but then interviewing them about the test? I don't really see the point. I've been told that I can ask them to redo questions they got wrong if I think they should have been able to get them right but this just seems like re-administering the test.

4. ShadowMan

ShadowMan New commenter

I would love to have one to one time with children. I can't quite see why you think this is not valuable. Just use the time to give the child whatever they need.

5. these meetings are meant to be about setting targets maybe you are using a test as a way into this. setting targets with a pupil should help engage them with their learning and help them understand what is expected of them and how to improve