1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assertive Mentoring

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bluerose, Jul 9, 2011.

1. This has got quite a few comments on PTRC forum. I know there are posters on here who are also in schools using it. Ive had helpful comments from poster on here but was curious to how others are finding it and if anyone knows of any midlands schools using this.

If you dont know what it is google and takes you to red hall school in darlington

2. What is PTRC?

3. Primary Teachers Resource Centre forum

4. Thanks bluerose. Off to have a look.

5. anyone

6. Yes, we are using it. We implemented it around Easter time and have already seen improvements in maths as we feel we have a better grip on where the gaps are in teaching. We have adapted the stuff a little bit to fit our school but all the children have files and there has been a dramatic increase in the number of children who know what their targets are.

7. what things did you need to adapt?
    Did whole school have training
    do you use all their areas ie phonics words maths behaviour etc
    dont suppose your school is in midlands
    what are downsides if any

8. I am very interested in the questions bluerose has asked in the post above. I am also interested to know how many children are mentored?

9. Hi
    I am interested in this too as we are looking at this with a view to starting it in September. Did you take the levels from the tests as the child's levels or did you adjust them to include how they were performing in class too?
    Blue Rose - where can I find the Primary Teachers Resource Centre forum?

10. My understanding is every child is part of assertive mentoring if a school takes on this approach.

PTRC http://www.primaryresourcecentre.com/ scroll down till mentions joining free forum

11. im sure there must be more posters from this site using this

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Not using it and have never heard of it before. But a quick google makes it very appealing.

I'm hoping more people will respond and talk about it.

13. it seems common sense nothing new just organising what we all know we could do. not found any negative comments about it anywhere so far which initself is a feat especially on here

14. seems odd that on smaller forum like PTRC quite a lot of response to this and on here nothing really not even the negative comments [​IMG]

15. anyone else taken this on?

16. We have been using it across the whole school for the last two years. OFSTED love it, the children have ownership of thier learning and standards have improved year on year. We use the folders and each child has targets matched to thier needs in reading, writing and maths that they share with one another, parents and teachers, very motivational and impacting.

17. CB123

CB123 New commenter

We began to introduce it last half term. So far we have used the maths and writing approach which is really helping. To be honest we used to do weekly big writes so it was east to adapt this to the assertive mentoring approach but the maths has certainly helped with spotting gaps. The children love to see themselves improving and the use of red, yellow and green is really visual for them. We have begun to talk to the children about the behaviour and targets etc and they are starting understand their targets but this does need some more work. I do however like the approach and I think by September, when all staff are more confident then it will work really well.
    I believe there is some bits for reading but we have not yet introduced anything about reading.

18. which age group do you start with? what are the pitfalls youve found and most importantly how are you sharing targets with parents and how they can help child achieve these