1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assembly

Discussion in 'Primary' started by parachute89, Jan 14, 2019.

1. parachute89

parachute89 New commenter

Hi, I started at my new school in January and am in the rota to do a whole school assembly next week, based on “About Me”, I’m assuming to introduce and speak about myself as I am new. The other new teacher is due to do “About Me” for herself a couple of weeks after.

What on Earth do I talk about for 15 minutes in regards to introducing myself!? I get horribly nervous doing assemblies anyway, and what with it being a new school, it’s added to it.

Thank you.

2. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Established commenter

Just talk about yourself, your career and your interests, make it fun, engaging and even interactive, otherwise if you just talk and talk, chances are students and staff will switch off and won’t be interested.

3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Give it a purpose beyond an overview of you. For example, frame it around how we're all different and celebrating those differences by talking about a particular hobby or interest you have.

nomad likes this.
  4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I imagine that the aim is not that they know your life story, but that the whole school knows who you are, what your name is, and something about you. Maybe a hobby is a good way to go, or somewhere interesting you've been. But you could just pick some random anecdote or aspect of your childhood to tell them about, which is bound to strike a chord for some children. They'll be able to go home and say "There's a new teacher called Miss Parachute and she's knitted a whole blanket/has been to Australia/had four big brothers/has a pet rabbit/broke her arm roller-skating/..." Even if what you tell them about is not a huge part of your life, it probably fixes you in their minds as part of the community far more than if you were just doing the next random topic on the assembly programme.

Stiltskin likes this.
  5. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

I’m assuming you’re in a primary school?
    You could take in some items which link with your hobbies/interests. Each item could be on a table in a bag or hidden under a cloth or wrapped up like a present. Depending on how you think your pupils might respond, you might ask a volunteer to come out to reveal/unwrap the first item. Then you can tell the children a bit about why you chose this object or what it means to you. There might be an object which reminds you of a special holiday, an object linked with the sport you play, your favourite book, your favourite chocolate bar, your favourite piece of music, the instrument you play, a photo of your pet etc.

May2 and digoryvenn like this.
  6. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Also ask the children to tell you something about them.

7. helenemdee

helenemdee Occasional commenter

A new headteacher did one in a school I worked in a couple of years ago and it was a PowerPoint of pictures of her engaging in hobbies and of her pets, as far as I can remember. She made one for the staff which she presented on the inset day and one for the kids which she showed in assembly. It was alright and the visuals definitely helped. I think the idea of taking in items related to your hobbies etc is a good one, though.