1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

assembly tips for new head of year 7

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by blondielocks, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Dear All, your ideas will be greatfully recieved. I'm undergoing a baptism of fire with assembly and would like to avoid any pitfalls where possible. Public speaking is not my first love and have one assembly under my belt in 5 years of teaching. How do I survive and make my assemblies great? Am a bit of a perfectionist at heart,
    Blondielocks

2. Dear All, your ideas will be greatfully recieved. I'm undergoing a baptism of fire with assembly and would like to avoid any pitfalls where possible. Public speaking is not my first love and have one assembly under my belt in 5 years of teaching. How do I survive and make my assemblies great? Am a bit of a perfectionist at heart,
    Blondielocks

3. Always tricky deciding what to talk about and Having done assemblies for a couple of years, I still get nervous sometimes. I find that talking from personal experience always helps, with a story of some sort to illustrate your point. E.g if you want to talk about motivation or achievement - tell them what helped you achieve or what motivates you. Music always goes down well and a well prepared powerpoint can work.
    Talking positively about them is important too. Do achievement assemblies in which you have found out a load of things they have achieved and tell the whole year group. They will be embarrassed but usually they love it.
    First/second assembly with year 7 - I did something on identity - I found a load of images about things I love to do or things about me - e.g. Hobbies, pets, family (nothing too personal obviously), books I like to read, music I like etc. I talk about myself for a bit and then tell them I am looking forward to getting to know who they are beyond being year 7 students and what identity is etc. First assembly may need to be just about routines and school ethos of course.
    Good luck!

4. sak121

sak121 New commenter

well i treat my assemblies as a lesson. Delivery of set topic from my sow from the start of the year. The form tutors then take the assembly forward in tutor time and discuss ideas of this or carry out activities which i have provided them in advance. Of course this means you have to be organised with your sow, resources, and assemblies in advance. I feel it has had a good influence on pupils and the team speak positively about this structure.

5. mpc

mpc

A few suggestions for what they're worth

(1) Inter-tutor competition for something very silly or a bit more sensibl. One/two representatives from each tutor come up and complete a given task. Winners are awarded house points or a small prize.

(2) Create a rota so that each tutor group creates an assembly per half term/term.

I suppose what I'm suggesting is that delivering assemblies isn't your sole responsibility. Good luck!

6. I use the QI website and books to find fact and then base issues around the facts. Also find unusual stuff about ancient history and work it into modern day.

I'm planning one around the catholics "Devils advocate and working it into being your own devils advocate and looking at your self ....

7. My first year 7 assembly was based on the first Harry Potter book when he is packing for wizard school and talking to them about being prepared etc - the particular pupils have left now - but they never forgot it and recalled it regularly. I suppose what I am saying is delivering an assembly can be a powerful tool, so good for you for putting so much thought into it. It was something I enjoyed doing, and miss today - but then I am odd!!!!

8. And when I listen to assemblies now, they are so often just a rant - the kids switch off as they hear it so often.

9. Lots of good ideas here. There is also the website www.assemblies.org.uk and various books you can get from amazon (lots of which seem to be aimed more at Year 7 than older years).

Had my last assembly today with Year 10 - leaving at end of next week to move abroad. Have taken them through from Year 7 - 45 lovely girls. Thought I'd get through without tears, but suddenly hit by a wave of emotion and became all unnecessary :-(

10. I did one with crisps. You have to get 2 kids with no allergies, then blindfold them.

Before the assembly you open up the crisps at the bottom and swap over the contents into different packets.

Once blindfolded, you tell them they have to guess the flavour.

They will shout out 'cheese and onion' while the whole year group are saying, 'no no it's salt and vinegar' etc

you can work it out - don't judge by appearances and have the courage of your convictions to believe people are how YOU find them.

11. thanks all! great ideas and glad to know i'm not the only nervous assembly deliverer, your support and ideas are much appreciated x

12. I have just got the Head of Year 7 job and this sounds like a really interesting assembly. do you have any more resources on this i could look at? thanks!

13. Hi Love my Skoda,

This sounds like an excellent idea - I would like to make my first assembly to Year 7 memorable - do you have a copy you could perhaps email to me to look at?

Kind regards,

S.Mack

14. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Five years on, there's no guarantee Love my Skoda is reading. But go find the book, do it your way, and it will be better than having their words.