1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assembly on importance of ML

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by badra, Sep 14, 2011.

1. badra

badra New commenter

Hi guys, in my school a lot of pupils pick sciences over languages because " French is too hard!! " I have decided to take advantage of the European day next week to organize assemblies on the importance of Ml to help the pupils realize that "English is NOT enough"!!

Any recommendations les Amis :)

Merci

2. badra

badra New commenter

Hi guys, in my school a lot of pupils pick sciences over languages because " French is too hard!! " I have decided to take advantage of the European day next week to organize assemblies on the importance of Ml to help the pupils realize that "English is NOT enough"!!

Any recommendations les Amis :)

Merci

3. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy New commenter

Oh wow! The world is your oyster, almost!
    There are loads of PPTs and stuff on the TES resources pages, and also lots of stuff if you simply google something like "why learn a foreign language?".
    But be careful: some of them are old-ish, and some have statistics that are decidedly dodgy, in my view.
    Also, look at ALLnet's stuff - some specifically aimed at this topic - I expect you know it anyway as an MFL teacher.
    There's some EU languages material too if you look at their sites - but be careful here, as it can also at times push the "what a great thing the EU is" line, which some of us (like me) are certainly not in agreement with!
    Bonne chance!

4. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy New commenter

I meant also to add that I often use the "so what if it is seen as harder?" argument. Intelligent and hardworking kids won't be put off, nor will they necessarily choose the easier options.
    In fact, it is no harder than anything else, provided that students are prepared to work and give it the time it needs.
    And the rewards are great - I sometimes tell them of the times I've had abroad. OK you leave out the "adult" bits (Lol) and you don't go into gory detail, but they like to hear at least briefly about the girls you met on your travels or whilst at Uni in Aix, or Bonn, or Barcelona (or about the boys, if you are female). Get them imagining how chhiillllleeed they would appear to a foreign boy/girl if they could just switch into the relevant language and say "what are your plans for later?...
    Then there are the figures for employment and average earnings - all higher if you have a language... (which are the figures you'll find if you follow the suggestions in my first post).

5. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

I'm thinking of doing a whole-school assembly for EDL and am going to investigate Michel Thomas, as I've recently found out he had quite an interesting and inspiring life - will upload what I write when I've done it.

6. henriette

henriette New commenter

7. badra

badra New commenter

Thank you all for your feedback. I am going to have a look at it and will keep you updated!

Merci

8. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

This is a list of language facts that I put together for an event in the NE earlier this year - you might be able to use some of them - https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Languages-The-Facts-6094896/