1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assembly in reception legal ?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Msz, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Once children reach "compulsory" school age they should take part in a daily act of collective worship (unless parents withdraw them) which isn't the same as whole school assembly.

2. Ok so does that mean we have to a religious type session with them for 15 mins per day? Some children are not 5 until august either.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

no it doesn't have to be a 15 minute RE type session. Tell a story and say a going home "prayer" of a "broadly Christian nature"

4. It depends on your school, and how inclusive of little ones your assemblies are. My class love going and have the opportunity to answer questions/listen to stories/sing etc, just as the rest of the school do. I feel it is very good for peer modelling by older children, sitting smartly, listening, not shouting out etc. They soon learn the protocol!

5. Think it also depends on how "infant-savvy" the person doing the assemblies in your school is. I sit through a LOT of varied assemblies - some heads are soooooo KS2 oriented they drone on and on and on and it just goes over the heads of the smaller people (yet they insist on reception going into assembly).... some are utterly fantastic at making sure that, if they have reception going into assembly, it hits the level that they can access as well.
    My old head when I had my reception class unfortunately was one of the former and we'd regularly find one little girl in particular voicing her displeasure by nodding off in them (and boy for a little dot she couldn't half snore)!

6. Our Reception children go to one assembly a week, which as part of SMT I have to do, so I know it won't go over their heads. It's just with KS1, which makes it easier.
    As the year goes on we start taking them to the whole school assemblies which are only once a week but we only go once a fortnight. These are sometimes beyond what they can stand on a Friday afternoon!
    The rest of the week we use lunch time and end of the day to have time for reflection.
    This means we have the best of their listening time in the mornings for our adult-led carpet sessions.