1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assembly ideas for topic of 'understanding?' HELP!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bubblybrunette83, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,
    Really hope someone could help me! I have my class assembly next week (Year 6) and my topic is understanding. I was thinking of doing something related to the paralympics and understanding how other people are different but still successful. This was just an idea tho! Is there anyone out there who could help me find a website or have a script of some kind to help me?! Please lol x

2. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

Not sure this is the best forum to ask, but if it helps I had a bit of an epiphany which you are welcome to reference in an assembly.
    Somewhat luckily, I managed to get Paralympic tickets for the Athletics last Thursday. On the way out I was in a lift with my 2yo in a buggy. A man in a wheelchair was in the same lift. After the lift, there was an uphill slope. Our 2yo was very interested in why a grown-up was in a buggy too, He leant over to my 2yo and and said "That's unfair - you have legs to push you." I laughed and replied that this kind of conversation would have made me quite uncomfortable before the paralympics, but somehow now it seemed fine. He said that this is exactly the kind of conversation that disabled people want to have, as they can get up slopes but it just takes a bit longer, and a bit of humour helps tremendously.

Bottom Line? I took my kids to the paralympics to try to change their view of disability; I ended up changing mine. These were NOT disabled people compensating for their injuries; they were fantastic athletes who happened to have a disability.
    Quite what this has to do with maths, I'm not quite sure. Sorry. But my understanding developed through experience. Perhaps that's the lesson?!

3. Thanks Andrew!
    Thats a really heartfelt message to get across actually, thats what i was looking for, teaching children about understanding people are different but not less able than us. I just wasnt sure how to make this last for 15 minutes lol Thanks again!

Christine

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter

5. Thank you Marlin, really appreciate the help!

Christine