1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assembly Help...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by TEACHER16, Aug 25, 2011.

1. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

I am about to have my own class for the fist time and as a result I would like to do an assembly with my class on their topic...the bodies...What is the best way to begin planning an assesmbly and has anyone done an assembly on the topic...'our bodies' before with any advice/support/guidance. Thanks in advance.

2. what year group?
    I usually get my kids to do the whole assembly rather than talk myself as I feel the parents come to see the children and not me! However that was when teaching Year 3, not my Yr1/2 that I'm starting in September.
    Child 1: Welcome to .....
    Child 2: Here is a song we learned about our Body..
    All: Sing Song e.g. "Head, Shoulder..."
    Child 3: We made pictures ...
    All: Describe what's on our pictures ...
    Continue with any other work completed. If it's a big class split them so they only show 2 pices each.
    Last child: Thank you ...
    This is all just off the top of my head! I'm sure you can make it a bit more exciting. But from experience, parents love it when they sing and say a poem. And the usually laugh when things go wrong.

3. Assemblies are the bane of my life. Even when im in control and confident I have a habit of going bright red and then im aware that everyone in the hall can see that im bright red and I go even redder! Plus even when the kids are behaving, you can always hear low level murmuring and I can never work out where it's coming from....not wishing to terrify you or anything. For ours the staff don't stay in (apart from specific support for certain children) which is better in some ways (Noone to embarrass yourself infront of) but worse in others (no support monitoring behaviour).
    I echo the above - get the children to do as much as they can and it makes it easier for you, and gives you breaks. Plus they love being the centre of attention - even in Y1/2 there is usually a confident child who is a good reader and would be able to read a poem or something they have written.

4. Hi
    My last was on 'Under the Sea' with FS2 children and we set it up as a news report with more able/confident speakers asking the other children what they had made/been learning. \we included lots of songs and created a large display in the hall and used our instruments etc to share with parents. This format meant the chn were in charge and I just used visual prompts to cue up next section. It worked well and would probably be a 'smoother performance' with older chn. I found that the other classes listened well, I did prep them and explain how hard my class had worked reminding them of golden rules and respect and was so pleased with how well they responded. The older chn joined in as we displayed song words as we went.
    Good Luck!

5. As others have said get the chn to do as much as poss - if they are a little older they love being involved in the planning of it.
    I always like to bring in a bit of practical stuff too - also helps stop the fidgets so for Our Bodies I get a few chn to jump about - star jumps that sort of thing and say what changes they notice - older ones could even show how to take a pulse or counting breaths before and after - they love showing off !

6. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

It is for a year 3 class. I like the layout you have written there. Thank you :).

7. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

Thankyou to everyone who has posted so far. I think my biggest fear is I have a really big class and when I begin planning for this it is going to be a challenge making sure everyone is doing something.