1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assembly help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rozness, Jan 31, 2010.

1. rozness

rozness New commenter

I have 2 weeks to plan and teach my class assembly on Materials.
    We havnt made anything to show the audience and I have no idea what im doing.
    I still need to do all the teaching of different materials and their properties.
    I am in Year 1.
    I'm thinking of doing something drama based. But have no idea what.

Please help!

2. You could make puppets out of the different materials - the children could introduce them to everyone + discuss their different qualities like "strength" etc ..... Maybe they could be superhero type characters and have launched into school to give everyone some special messages .... to be flexible and listen to each other etc .... ?! I can send you some ideas for making puppets if you like, as I've just been doing it with Year 2s.

3. rozness

rozness New commenter

Thats sounds like a great idea!

Would love your ideas of how to make the puppets. I only have 1 week to get them made as we need to begin practising the assembly.

Thank you so much!

4. What sort of materials are you going to be investigating?

There was one type we made with paper plates .... The paper plate was the face and then you can cover it with different materials to build a character. Or you can attach material to the paperplate to create a body .... Then if you cut the top and bottom off another paper plate, so you have a rectangular-ish piece you can staple it to the back of the first paperplate, which is where the children can hold it, which is quite nice, as they can interact with it, but would also suit an assembly set up ... as they can stand with it, or if you cover a table with some nice fabric, they can sit behind it and lift their arms up so you get a puppet house effect.

5. rozness

rozness New commenter

The standard, paper, metal, glass, wood, plastic, fabric.
    I think!
    I have yet to do the teaching of it, as we'v had so much going on lately.

6. Well, the paperplates sound like a good way to go ... The Year 2 class made them in about 60-90 min ... You could also use long wooden sticks or lollipop sticks as attachments to the puppets ... If you want to leave your email, I will send you some photos of the one's we made if that helps ?!

7. I love your idea Pendryl for the materials puppets! They sound fab and I would like to have a go with my class. Could you please email me some photos of the ones you have made?
    vickyjarrett@hotmail.com
    Thanks