1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

assembly for YR to Y6 as part of interview!!

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by kt1001, May 15, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,
    I've been selected for interview foran AHT post in a small primary school and, as part of the interview process, I have to take assembly for the whole school. I'm currently on the SLT of a large primary school and regularly take assemblies for either Key Stage 1 or Key Stage 2 but have never taken one for the whole primary age range and am a little concerned about where to pitch it without losing the little ones and patronising the big ones!
    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! xx

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You might not have taken one but surely you've attended them taken by someone else?

Think of the best ones - what happened and why were they good? It's far better if you plan your assembly based on what you know for yourself has worked, rather than an idea someone else gives you that you've no actual experience of.

3. Energy is what you need! A broad smile and a story or an activity to engage. You don't know them so intro your system for everyone to listen early on. A personal touch is good eg SEAL themes of going for goals or all about me - work with all ages. Having something you build up to in a box/bag keeps attention, use your voice to make sure they listen. I'd avoid too much uncontrolled peer talk or movement as they may not be used to it.

4. linre

linre New commenter

Our new head teacher did her first assembly with us as 'all about me'. She brought in lots of clues about herself and the children had to guess what it told them about her. These ranged from her walking boots to her favourite cd. The children loved guessing what she liked to do and ended with them thinking about what is special about them and what would they bring to intro themselves.

Things always go well at our school if she is asking for volunteers to help - all the kids pick up on this and sit and listen to try and get picked!