1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assembly - do we HAVE to do them?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by trainee123, May 7, 2012.

1. Does anybody know if we are allowed to say no to doing key stage assemblies? I work as a mainstream teacher in a primary school and really dread doing them. It is not written into my contract that I have to do them and I am not part of the SLT.

2. Does anybody know if we are allowed to say no to doing key stage assemblies? I work as a mainstream teacher in a primary school and really dread doing them. It is not written into my contract that I have to do them and I am not part of the SLT.

3. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

The STPCD and the Burgundy Book are silent on the matter. If it's not in your contract, then don't do them. Leave them those who are paid to do them. HoYs and SLT should accept it goes with their territory to do assemblies. A HoY once said to his tutor team, "I need help with assemblies.", to which the less than charitable reply was, "Yes, you certainly do, but you're not getting it from us."

4. Thanks for getting back to me. Just wish I could find something written somewhere to say that we don't have to do them. I tried to say no to my head teacher, but it didn't go down very well and she basically told me I HAVE to do it.

5. It's very easy for us sitting in anonymous isolation to advise "don't do X", and yes, assemblies are often done by SLT and senior staff. Empowering a teacher to defy a head requires more than saying just refuse to do it. What would probably help the OP is practical advice from those who have managed to persuade a head on this issue.

6. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

According to http://www.humanism.org.uk/education/parents/worship-your-rights (bottom of the page):
    You need union advice. When this was last raised about 20 years ago, the unions' position was clear: no one can be forced to lead an assembly, whether religious in character or not.

7. Thank you very much, that is really useful. I think I will contact my union to find out. Will do the assembly this week but would like to know for future reference. I don't want to make it into a bigger deal than it should be at school, but am upset by the extremely rude (and uncalled for!) way that I was told to do it. When we work so hard as teachers, giving so much extra all year round, it feels like a real kick in the teeth!

8. Do it but do it really badly. You won't be asked again!

9. Now there's an idea!!! If only I had the guts...?! (Although knowing me, the nerves will ensure it's terrible whether I want it to be or not!)

10. I would take care as I worked in a school where this time, if you were not leading children or attending to support supervision was counted as 30 minutes of your PPA which can be given in chunks of no less than 30 minutes. And the worship/singing etc would last 30 mins if you were lucky (I felt for the little ones sat there for all that time!)

11. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

simply not legal, as PPA has to be taken whilst the pupils are being taught (hence not during playtimes or that bit before school when we all have to be in but the kids haven't arrived).
    As to OP, you can withdraw from taking/attending assembly on grounds of faith/conscience but obviously the head can still direct you to any other task they see fit. your problem seems to be one of communication rather than doing assemblies as such - maybe have a word with the head to the effect that you didn't appreciate being spoken to in that way, even if they were right...
    At my school management take regular weekly assemblies but other phase or even whole school ones are shared out among the staff with a rota, only staff on break duty that day are not expected to attend, tho' some assembly leaders do tell staff if they are OK on their own. It works well ...

12. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Tell them you've converted to an extreme branch of Islam. That should do the trick. I hate assemblies too.