1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assembly coming up, need help with ideas!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jess0788, May 31, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,

I have an assembly in the coming weeks and the theme is 'What do you want to be?'.
    This is the first time I've had to lead an assembly outside of a class one so I have no idea what to do!

All I can think of what they'd like to be when they grow up but not sure where to go with this. Any ideas on things to read/talk about/show related to the topic phrase would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks!

2. Hmmm its a nice topic and id be interested to hear others ideas.
    All I can really think of is showing pictures of famous footballers, pop stars etc on a screen if you have one and asking for a show of hands if the children want to do these jobs when they are older.
    Then show something like a doctor, a teacher, a policeman and ask for a show of hands for these.
    You could have some level of discussion about why they want to do certain jobs - they will probably say money, and fame. Then you can discuss job satisfaction and how doing a job that helps others can be really rewarding.
    If you have friends with interesting jobs you could ask them to come in and the children can ask them questions. You could get children in your class to dress up if you have dress up clothes, and hotseat them if not.
    Not the best ideas but thats what comes to mind.

3. Thanks for the PP and suggestions for the assembly!
    I think I'm going to focus on personal attributes (as someone has just done an assembly about jobs xD)
    If anyone knows stories or poems that could also be used that would be great. Trying to collect loads of ideas so I have enough to fill the slot.

4. How about something along the lines of the 'pay it forward movement' in relation to being kind and helpful. I am sure there will be lots of little clips you can use from the movie on youtube to explain the idea. You could challenge the children to find different ways to be kind, thoughtful, caring, responsible.

Otherwise does the UK have a set a values that area taught across the country? Austalia has a Values for Austalian Schooling document and it is easy to plan what do you want to be around that. The values are:
    Care and Compassion
    Doing your Best
    Fair Go
    Freedom
    Integrity
    Respect
    Responsiblity
    Understanding, Tolerance and Inclusion
    Honesty and Trustworthiness