1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assaulted by a student - what now?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by joopie78, Dec 4, 2018.

1. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

To all staff reporting such events. Please ensure you fil in an incident/accident report form at your establishment. Keep a copy for yourself. This can be used at a future date when you suffer stress or injuries for the assault. No evidence ,no claim that you suffered a work place accident. If you are treated by a doctor again obtain evidence of your visit.

Clearly it is important report this to the police. Too often nothing happens to these students. They graduate to attacking old people , ambulance staff and fire persons. A few go on to murder people in the community just like in my LA.

Failure to speak to you for a week means the SMT have failed in their duty of care. Perhaps they were too busy doing book checks and walking about with a clip board !!!!

Union ask for refusal to teach. These pupils are a danger to other pupils in your school.

2. joopie78

joopie78 New commenter

Thank you everyone.

I feel shocked by what has happened to me. I’ve been assaulted in my place of work. I’m really not a naval gazer but I feel so upset.

I’ve been to the GP and reported the matter to the police.

I feel like I need to get back to work so am probably going back tomorrow. I don’t even know if that is a good idea at the moment. At the same time I don’t want to make things worse by sitting at home fretting.

agathamorse, Shedman and Weald56 like this.
  3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

If you have such extreme students then also attack alarms/panic buttons may be needed.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Yes you do and you've stated it clearly! Resign, get the h*ll out of there before you are seriously injured or worse. Your physical (and perhaps mental) health is at risk on a daily basis. How long will this go on for? Will you spend the rest of your working life being assaulted? What happens when you get a bit older and more frail? Is your mind and body going to be able to take the daily assaults?

Think whether this is what you want on a daily basis and if you've had enough then seek out a new school or career for you and your family's benefit.

5. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

At least you're safe at home. Will you be in contact with the student who assaulted you? If so, what safeguarding are you going to receive from the school. What future arrangements are being made to protect your and other staff from this criminal? If your workplace is not safe then stay at home.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Senior commenter

7. Aelfric

Aelfric New commenter

Go on the sick, contact the police, say you are afraid to go to work and file a big juicy compo claim and pay the mortgage off.

8. joopie78

joopie78 New commenter

I bottled it.
    I got ready with all intentions to go to work and had what I can only describe as a massive panic/anxiety attack.

9. BioEm

BioEm Occasional commenter

That's not bottling it, that's a panic response down to the fact that you were assaulted at your workplace and your body is telling you not to put yourself in harms ways again.

Look at the advice you have been given and contact your union, the police and go to your GP. You shouldn't go back to a place of work that allows the kind of thing that happened to you happen.

And please do not feel like you are weak for not going in.

10. mothorchid

mothorchid Lead commenter

I am not surprised you didn't feel up to going in to work. I wouldn't have gone in either.
    Please follow the advice about union involvement. Keep going on at them till they respond. What did the police say?
    Take all the time you need over this. If you go back too soon, it will not help; also a longer absence indicates the severity of your distress to SLT and may not be the worst thing. FTE seems insufficient to me, especially as this is a PRU and the student is (presumably) used to FTEs from previous schools?

agathamorse likes this.
  11. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

As BioEm says, this is your brain telling you that you are about to enter a dangerous situation. The panic attack is a flight response with your brain telling you to run away and avoid the dangerous situation. Your brain is associating work with danger. You need to be convinced that your workplace is safe and it's definitely not that is the student is still swaggering around.

agathamorse likes this.
  12. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Senior commenter

I'm a strong believer that in these situations, we should ask one clear question:

"If I was standing at the bus stop and this happened to me, what would I do?"

If the answer is: 'have the little ******* arrested' then we should do exactly the same in the classroom. I don't care whether that's down to assault, threatening language, racism, up skirting or theft. Frankly, our HTs should be begging us to allow them to discipline the pupil rather than having the squad car turn up at reception.

saluki, agathamorse and JohnJCazorla like this.
  13. joopie78

joopie78 New commenter

I’m going back to the GP tomorrow. I don’t think the one I saw earlier in the week really understood why I was there.

That is very true @SEBREGIS but as teachers we do tend to tolerate so much more than your average Joe.

The most disappointing thing through this has been the complete lack of strong support from the union.

agathamorse likes this.
  14. IanG

IanG New commenter

Explain everything to the doctor, its important that theres a record of what happened...assault, panic attacks, any aches from where pushed etc. If they put 'work related injury' on sick note then it might make the school sit up and notice. Regarding union, keep pestering them as you need them on board.

agathamorse likes this.
  15. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Senior commenter

True. I’ve only known one teacher actually ring 999. We tend to think that we should handle everything short of murder as ‘a behaviour management issue’ :-(

agathamorse likes this.
  16. bizent

bizent Star commenter

Quote the Burgundy Book - that always gets SLT panicking.

agathamorse likes this.
  17. joopie78

joopie78 New commenter

The police have informed that their normal procedure is to leave it to the school to deal with.

I feel lost as to what I do now.

18. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

What do your Union advise?

19. joopie78

joopie78 New commenter

Very little - I’ve had an email telling me to go to the GP and get it recorded as a work accident/injury.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Senior commenter

It is a criminal offence. What a cop out.

nomad, agathamorse and Geoff Thomas like this.