1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assaulted by a student - what now?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by joopie78, Dec 4, 2018.

1. joopie78

joopie78 New commenter

Yesterday I was assaulted by a student.

I’m not badly injured but I haven’t gone in today mainly because I’m a little shaken up to be honest.

The student has been given a FTE (it’s a PRU) which I guess the school thinks is enough but I really don’t think it is.

What happens now? Is this classed as a workplace injury?

pepper5 likes this.
  2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Union. ASAP

And stay off until you feel well enough to go in..

NB Maybe photograph any injuries/write an account of what happened/think carefully about possible witnesses...just in case you need them.

bevdex, BioEm, BelleDuJour and 4 others like this.
  3. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Police?

Sanz1981, tall tales and lanokia like this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I shall echo post #3. Police

An ex-colleague had this happen to him recently in a PRU. He decided not to go to the police even though he took a kick to the head and two in the ribs. I don't understand why people tolerate this when it'd be unacceptable in the street.

bevdex, Sanz1981, tall tales and 4 others like this.
  5. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

I don't understand FTE or PRU.

I do understand assault, ABH and GBH

You are the victim of a criminal attack.

Police.

eljefeb90, bevdex, tall tales and 7 others like this.
  6. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

fixed term exclusion
    pupil referral unit

agathamorse, Geoff Thomas and pepper5 like this.
  7. tsarina

tsarina Occasional commenter

If it's bruises then photograph each day for the next week...bruises tend to look worse several days later when they turn black and yellow. You might need them down the line and regret not having taken them.

8. sulkydame

sulkydame New commenter

I am kicked, punched, spat at, verbally assaulted etc on a regular basis. I'm in a mainstream primary and I'm DHT. I'm constantly being called to deal with out of control children and often end up restraining them to stop them from trashing rooms or fighting with each other. Today was dreadful. Kicked, headbutted in the face and punched several times. Yesterday I was spat at full in the face, pinched on the arm, bitten on the leg and slapped and kicked several times. Friday was a similar day. This is happening every week. I'm devastated and don't know what to do next. I think I need to resign, it's killing me.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I think he really knew:rolleyes:

pepper5 likes this.
  10. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Get the HT to do it. You might find the kids being shown the door pdq!

agathamorse and tall tales like this.
  11. joopie78

joopie78 New commenter

You have my sympathy. In my case, this wasn’t part of a physical intervention, I wasn’t restraining them, it wasn’t a result of a “scrum” if that makes sense? This was a deliberate assault simply because I was an adult and they knew I couldn’t do anything back.

I’ve tried contacting the union but not had a response.

agathamorse likes this.
  12. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Senior commenter

Call your Union you have a right to be protected at work, this is completely unacceptable.

13. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Senior commenter

Ring them at the Regional office, then taking it to National if you get no response.

14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Take photos of everything that constitutes evidence... contact your Union... you do not have to work in such conditions. Your employer does have a duty of care.

15. rooney1

rooney1 Occasional commenter

Make sure you record what happened and that it is recorded at school - in detail.
    Even if you are in a PRU you have a right to be safe at work. Contact your union at regional level. I suppose a lot depends on how well you feel supported at school.

agathamorse likes this.
  16. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

[This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

It's not too late to add this to your Christmas list!

blazer likes this.
  17. bizent

bizent Star commenter

Nice bit of subtle sexism. Just women at risk of being attacked?

18. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

Actually, he didn't. (It's over twenty years since I left the classroom)

strawbs, lardylady and blazer like this.
  19. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Don't go back until you are ready.
    FTE is not enough...no.
    Keep on at your union.
    Get signed off.
    We do not go to work every day to be insulted and assaulted.............which is sadly what teaching is becoming :(

MsBehaving and agathamorse like this.
  20. zcsaa44

zcsaa44 New commenter

I got shoved over by a student who has an impulse control problem due to a previous head injury (he could not calm down when worked up). Reported it immediately to members of staff who could potentially calm him down, unfortunately before he could be calmed he assaulted another student and then a member of staff (deputy head) more seriously.
    I wrote a report on what happened as instructed and sent it to SLT. It was a week before anyone spoke to me about it at all and all reports about the incident neglected to mention the incident started with the student throwing chairs around outside my classroom. (Only person who did mention it was my HOD with whom I had some good natured discussion about how to keep a more stable stance which may sound very inappropriate but did a very good job of reassuring students that this was a minor incident as Chinese whispers had caused a huge amount of fear among the student body)
    Anyway, what got me was that the first person to speak to me was the deputy head who was more seriously assaulted who first asked if I was alright but then admonished me for not having raised the alarm about the student more successfully. I was checked on by other members of SLT and offered counselling but the fact it took a week seemed a bit poor.

JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.