1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Assault

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by HeyDuggee, Apr 4, 2019.

1. HeyDuggee

HeyDuggee New commenter

I was at a school today and during a lesson a pupil threw one of those exploding caps at me. Believe they are called fun caps. The cap hit me on my neck just below my jaw and exploded. I left the room immediately and got another teacher. Pupil was removed by them with the Assistant Head. Was so upset and really shaken up which was obvious. No one asked if I was ok to stay in the lesson and left me to carry on. I recorded it on SIMS. No one came to see me at the end of the day so I just left. I rang my agency and told them what happened. Was there anything else I should have done? I am booked to go back for a few days next week, this is a school i go to very regularly and at the moment I don't know wether to cancel. How should the school deal with such an incident?

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  2. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

Did it leave a mark? If so, you are well within your rights to contact the police.

If it was me, I would not go back. I might even write a letter to the HT and chair of governors, saying how upset you were and how little support you were given.

3. HeyDuggee

HeyDuggee New commenter

Thank you baxterbasics. It was red initially but fine afterwards. Did feel hot for a couple of hours.

pepper5 likes this.
  4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

1. Today ASAP phone the police
    2. Call the agency and cancel the booking
    3. Go see your GP
    4. Report this to your union

This is TOTALLY unacceptable and was not handled in the correct manner by the school. The school should let you know what they are going to do. It may have needed to be recorded in an accident book or serious incident form.

The cap could have hit you in the eye or hit another child's eye.

It is time teachers STOP working in dangerous conditions and expect BETTER!!!!

At the very least the school could have made sure someone came to see if you were o.k.

Trust you feel better soon but don't delay and get someone to take a photo of your neck if there is a mark.

5. HeyDuggee

HeyDuggee New commenter

Thank you peppper5. I did ring the agency and thet were going to ring the school. It happened during the last lesson so they won't have had chance to deal with it properly. I will be ringing them later to find out what has happened there today.
    Am at another school today. Still feel shaken up and didn't want to come in. Can't afford to lose the pay though.

6. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Occasional commenter

What a disgraceful state of affairs. Yes, you must kick up a fuss or I fear this incident will be quietly brushed under the carpet. If that happens, who is to say the pupil won't do it again to someone else, with possibly even worse consequences than you suffered, as Pepper says.
    The school has behaved appallingly in all of this and need bringing to task.
    I hope you are in a Union. If so inform them ASAP. Good advice from Pepper.
    Photograph your injury as she advises, too.
    Good luck and take care.

7. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi HeyDuggee

We all need.money but you dont have to go back to dangerous schools. I can almost guarantee the student involved will have a history of doing similar things before. The school have failed in their duty of care towards you. The student is clearly dangerous. You could habe been injured far worse and you shouls go to your GP if you still feel traumatised.

It simply isnt acceptable so dont go.back to that school. There are other schools. There are other ways to make money. Places where you wont be attacked

8. HeyDuggee

HeyDuggee New commenter

He was in isolation for the morning. Don't know why.
    Thank you for all your help and advise x

9. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

You are welcome.

Take care and hope you feel better.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Occasional commenter

[​IMG]
    many businesses now have signs like these on their premises - sadly very few if any schools do

11. shirt7

shirt7 New commenter

Avoid secondary schools and just do primary. If you’re secondary trained, you’re ok to do primary. Primary pupils aren’t easy but if you’re focused and concentrate all day, this sort of thing won’t happen.

12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Police!

MissGeorgi, agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  13. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Solicitor - where there's blame, there's a claim!
    I bet you're now AFRAID and ANXIOUS about entering classrooms. Cold sweats, sleepless nights, flashbacks, depression.
    If it was the other way around you would now be in police custody, looking at a heavy fine and/or a jail sentence and additionally you would never teach again.
    Fact.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    MissGeorgi, les25paul, blazer and 2 others like this.
  14. HeyDuggee

HeyDuggee New commenter

You're not far off the truth. I went to another school today, a nice school. All I felt was fear. I couldn't wait to get out of there. And when I did i sat in my car and just cried.

15. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

go to the police

16. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi Duggee

You can call the Education Support Partnership and tell them what has happened; they should be able to help

You also need to report this to your union and the police. It was a serious incident.

We have to report these matters and say enough is enough and teachers deserve to work in safe conditions. As I said earlier, the student proably has a history of doing similar things and without warning you ot having him in there the school have failed in its duty of care. I of course dont know if he did have a hisory of doing similar things but it would be interesting to find out.

Go to the nice schools and avoid the dangerous ones.

Go to your GP if you feel you need to.

Sending prayers and hugs.

17. HeyDuggee

HeyDuggee New commenter

I will be speaking to them today. I phoned my agency again yesterday. They have been close to useless. Said that they phoned the school after I reported the incident but the person they spoke to (the one that books us in) didn't have any information at that time. I phoned yesterday lunchtime and my agency said they hadn't heard anything so they would ring again. They left a voicemail then to say that they couldn't get hold of the person that books us in and he was their only point of contact.

18. historygrump

historygrump Lead commenter Forum guide

It is assaulting the teacher, I would contact the union and get their support, the kid should not be allowed in school. The HT should have apologised to you and explained what action they intend to take against the student. It sounds like the senior management are weak. If they don't take any action, I would make a claim for the impact it as on you, in terms of fear of it happening again and your confidence, that may wake the school up and force them into action.

JohnJCazorla, agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  19. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

If I were the agency, I wouldn't send teachers to that school again since it is clearly a dangerous place to work.

Don't go back to that school.

Mermaid7 and agathamorse like this.
  20. pwtin

pwtin Senior commenter

I sympathise as to how you feel about being back in the classroom after this happened as I was fairly recently assaulted in a school also. A days work in an SEN setting, I had not even taken my coat off and a pupil walked up to me and thumped me hard in the arm, I was so shocked and stunned and really felt like walking out. No one asked if I was alright, it appears as if it is accepted. It happened again later in the afternoon, this time the Head was in the class, the same child made a beeline for me whilst I was sat down and thumped me twice. Again I was not asked if I was alright, not even the Head. I reported it to my agency and they said similar type of incidences had been reported before. It astounds me the lack of care that some schools show towards staff. I felt really upset and shaken up and like you did not want to go back in to another classroom, but again had to because of the money.