1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Aspiring HOD

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by DalekTeacher, Sep 2, 2017.

1. DalekTeacher

DalekTeacher New commenter

Hello,

I am in my ninth year of teaching currently and one of my ambitions has been to become a Head of Department one day. I have held three whole school positions and working in a department role at the moment for KS5 co-ordinator. I have also examined at GCSE and A Level. I wondered if there was any advice on the best way to prepare for applying such a role and if you thought I have enough behind me?

Thank you,
    Dalekteacher.

2. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

It sounds as if you have lots of useful experience for a HoD role. There's nothing to stop you just applying for jobs and seeing what feedback you get. In a larger dept, you might also apply for 2i/c if these are being advertised.
    If you feel able to talk to your current HoD or someone else in leadership at your school, I think this would be a good plan. They may be able to give you opportunities to work on or shadow in areas where you might have less experience, and suggest ways you could develop based on what they know of your capabilities.

Trendy Art likes this.
  3. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Senior commenter

Nine years of teaching has provided you with the depth to apply for HoD jobs.

What is important is to demonstrate the impact from expertise you have cultivated with your whole school position, examiner and KS5 roles. e.g. consistently good examination results above national averages, teaching observations, improvement of provision/outcomes at KS5 or T&L not just in your classes but of others.

I agree with @muso2 - apply for jobs, look at the person specifications of posts you are interested in and audit your current experience against this - it's how schools shortlist for interview. See what your strengths and areas to develop experience within.

If you feel ready, then go for it. If not, ask yourself why not - then action plan the gaps for this academic year, make it a focus in this year's appraisal meeting so your line manager will support the opportunity for this to happen.

wanet likes this.
  4. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

It seems like you are at a stage where you are 'qualified' enough to become a Head of Department. 9 years is a significant amount of time and with the roles you have stated that you carry out, it is clear that you are near enough ready to step up to take on the next challenge. As a HT, my advice would be to speak to your line manager and ask them about your progression. Do they think you're ready? If yes, consider applying for local HoD roles within your subject (you need to tell them that you are doing this along with your HT too, to gain permission for a reference) or if no, ask for the relevant development to be put in place to enable you to get there. Good luck!!

5. install

install Star commenter

You could earn more by doing private tuition. 9 yrs and not one yet though - would make me wonder why you hadn't become one sooner and what has held you back.

Talk to the hods around you. Look at them and try and see what the best ones all have in common. Hopefully it won't be those that work above and beyond their allocated hours.