1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Asparagus

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by nick909, May 5, 2011.

1. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

It's here in abundance and I've already eaten tonnes of the stuff - sod the expense when it's so good; the British asparagus season is too short to worry about such things, and I don't bother with the Spanish stuff or any of the other stuff available for more of the year as it's always disappointing.
    How do you eat yours? I could do with some inspiration as I've done all my favourites.
    So far we've had it:
    In risotto - stir through risotto about 10 minutes before finished and allow to cook through. You can use the trimmings to flavour the stock. Heavy on the parmesan, please.
    Boiled in lively water and served with nothing but butter and sea salt
    Chargrilled and then served with a fried duck egg flopped on the stalk end and parmesan grated over the tips. A holy trinity, asparagus, egg and cheese...
    In a frittata - soften asparagus cut into 4cm lengths in butter in a pan and then add a beaten mixture of eggs, cream cheese and parmesan and let cook slowly until just cooked through. Add tarragon leaves if you have them - amazing with asparagus
    Boiled or chargrilled and then eaten as dippy 'soldiers' for a boiled hen's egg.
    Cooked on the barebecue - intensifies the flavours amazingly...
    Any other suggestions?

2. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

It's here in abundance and I've already eaten tonnes of the stuff - sod the expense when it's so good; the British asparagus season is too short to worry about such things, and I don't bother with the Spanish stuff or any of the other stuff available for more of the year as it's always disappointing.
    How do you eat yours? I could do with some inspiration as I've done all my favourites.
    So far we've had it:
    In risotto - stir through risotto about 10 minutes before finished and allow to cook through. You can use the trimmings to flavour the stock. Heavy on the parmesan, please.
    Boiled in lively water and served with nothing but butter and sea salt
    Chargrilled and then served with a fried duck egg flopped on the stalk end and parmesan grated over the tips. A holy trinity, asparagus, egg and cheese...
    In a frittata - soften asparagus cut into 4cm lengths in butter in a pan and then add a beaten mixture of eggs, cream cheese and parmesan and let cook slowly until just cooked through. Add tarragon leaves if you have them - amazing with asparagus
    Boiled or chargrilled and then eaten as dippy 'soldiers' for a boiled hen's egg.
    Cooked on the barebecue - intensifies the flavours amazingly...
    Any other suggestions?

3. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Amen to that!
    OK, ideas, ideas...
    Wrapped in parma/serrano
    Roasted with salmon, jerseys and tomatoes for a one pot meal
    Asparagus and goat's cheese/parmesan tarts
    Fried in garlic butter
    Asparagus soup...yyyyuuuuuummmmmmm (could even serve it cold!)
    With crab
    Eaten raw!
    All I can think of for the moment....(I may be back)

4. I've just gone to the Waitrose website to sort out my weekend delivery and on the front page is a photo of Asparagus and Goat's Cheese Tart, it looks delicious. I hate, hate, hate goat's cheese so would have to substitute it with feta I think.

5. All my favourite recipes are for white asparagus, which is what is so great here - season has just started and I am getting in as much as I can.
    I will only buy German Spargel, so the asparagus from Spain and Greece that has already been available didn't tempt me. It is never as juicy and plump as German asparagus.
    We don't bother much with the green asparagus here.

6. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Forget hens' eggs, soft-boil a duck egg and use cooked asparagus as soldiers. Nectar. They're also wonderful in a good home-made quiche.

7. With home-made hollandaise with some wine in it.
    In carbonara to give it some colour (cooked first)

8. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

9. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

At our fund raising dinner at Belle Towers on Friday, the chef prepared a starter of asparagus veloute, with a poached egg and top with a straeamed asparagus spear.........deelish!

I shall up my original thread and post full details shortly.

I like it steamed then wrapped in parma ham and rolled in slice white bread that has been squashed a bit with a rolling pin, spread with hollandaise (on the outside) then popped under a grill. Delicious with a glass of chilled white wine.

10. catherinaaa

catherinaaa New commenter

Another vote for the white asparagus you find in Germany- we've had it I think 4 times now this season. My favourite is still the traditional way- wrapped in ham and covered in Hollandaise sauce and with boiled potatoes.

Belle, the poached egg suggestion sounds yummy!

11. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

It was........................stunning! The chef made the veloute with the asparagus stalks then steamed the tips to put on top of the egg. Lush!

12. FrauSue

FrauSue New commenter

It's asparagus season in France too. I recently found a recipe for asparagus in an Asian-style fried rice dish, served with white fish marinated in lime juice. That worked really well for a bit of a change.