1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ASN Teacher

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by lisamj82, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Hoping someone can shed some light on this as my research is taking me round in circles!
    I am starting the PGDE this year and eventually want to teach in ASN schools. I have been trying to find out what additional qualifications / experience I'll need but I can't find a definite answer. I currently work in education however my current employer doesn't know I'm leaving so I can ask too many questions!
    A few teachers in ASN schools in my authority have said they had no previous experience working in an ASN school and just "fell into it"
    I've looked on various websites and on Probationer Teacher Scotland it says:
    "Since Additional Support Needs (ASN) is not a curriculum subject in the same way as English and History, registration in this area is only available through our Framework for Professional Registration. All ASN teachers must have gained full registration with us in either primary or secondary education and then use the Framework to work towards professional recognition in ASN."
    However the link is dead and when I go onto GTCS I can't find anything about Professional Registration that includes ASN. There is info on Professional Recognition and has some ASN topics:
    [*]ASN - Hearing Impairment [*]ASN - Visual impairment [*]ASN - Hearing and visual impairment [*]ASN - Autism [*]ASN - Dyslexia However the schools I have worked in (and want to in the future) have pupils with a variety of support needs (some included above) and physical support needs so would registering for Professional Recogonition in any of these areas enable me to teach in an ASN Primary school?
    Can anyone help or point me in the direction of an accurate webpage?!
    Thanks in advance.

2. Hoping someone can shed some light on this as my research is taking me round in circles!
    I am starting the PGDE this year and eventually want to teach in ASN schools. I have been trying to find out what additional qualifications / experience I'll need but I can't find a definite answer. I currently work in education however my current employer doesn't know I'm leaving so I can ask too many questions!
    A few teachers in ASN schools in my authority have said they had no previous experience working in an ASN school and just "fell into it"
    I've looked on various websites and on Probationer Teacher Scotland it says:
    "Since Additional Support Needs (ASN) is not a curriculum subject in the same way as English and History, registration in this area is only available through our Framework for Professional Registration. All ASN teachers must have gained full registration with us in either primary or secondary education and then use the Framework to work towards professional recognition in ASN."
    However the link is dead and when I go onto GTCS I can't find anything about Professional Registration that includes ASN. There is info on Professional Recognition and has some ASN topics:
    [*]ASN - Hearing Impairment [*]ASN - Visual impairment [*]ASN - Hearing and visual impairment [*]ASN - Autism [*]ASN - Dyslexia However the schools I have worked in (and want to in the future) have pupils with a variety of support needs (some included above) and physical support needs so would registering for Professional Recogonition in any of these areas enable me to teach in an ASN Primary school?
    Can anyone help or point me in the direction of an accurate webpage?!
    Thanks in advance.

3. You need to be a fully registered teacher to work in ASN. Obviously additional qualifications and experience is helpful when applying for ASN posts but it isn't a minimum requirement. I taught in a MLD (Moderate Learning Difficulties) school(which I also fell into...) with no extra qualifications which then led me in to SFL teaching. I would say what might go against when going for a post would be that compared to other people you might not have experience. If you are just starting your PGDE you are quite a bit away from going into ASN just yet. When you are doing your probation you could look into going into ASN schools on your McCrone time (if it still exists) for some extra experience. I did that which is how I started working in an MLD school when I was fully qualified. I hope that makes sense. Any other questions just ask.

4. Thanks jhp05269 fo clearing that up for me. I've done so much work in ASN and know it's where I want to be but it's so hard to find accurate information on the internet!