1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ASKING TOO MANY QUESTIONS?

Discussion in 'Governors' started by sophiegee, Jul 7, 2011.

1. hi - as a staff governor I have been accused of asking too many questions at governor meetings; as a result have been given a verbal warning - can this really happen? I am very upset and concerned!!

2. Eh??? That sounds ridiculous. I am a governor....isn't it our job to ask questions? What has your school got to hide then?!

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I think we need more information before drawing that conclusion - for all we know, the OP has either (a) asked questions which have already been answered or are contained in minutes/the head's report, (b) is asking questions that aren't really appropriate or should be asked within the respective committee meeting, (c) is raising issues which are not on the agenda and require an individual item listing, d) is is asking so many questions that the governing body meeting is lasting hours longer than usual.
    It is the chair's job to ensure the meeting goes smoothly, keeps to the agenda and time and s/he may merely be doing her/his job. Without more information from the OP, it's impossible to advise properly.

4. I would agree with Middlemarch here: we need more information. I am also interested to know WHO (ie role not name) gave you the verbal warning. it may be that you are asking questions that are of a purely operational nature.

5. Hi Middlemarch, the answer to (a) = No, I haven't (B) have only asked questions relevant in the relevant sub committees (c) def not and (d) with no questions being asked etc, the meetings are over quite quickly.
    Zeberdie - it was the COG that gave me the verbal warning in in front of the head.
    I am new on the scene there and it appears because I have begun to ask questions, the atmosphere is quite acrid at times. Oh well, I have given of my time but can't really handle this situation any longer - def don't need this when I am volunteering my services. The position is probably more suited to a 'Yes' person!! thanks for your time everyone.

6. Hi Sophiegee, given your answers in the last post, it would appear that the GB is not used to challenging anything presented to it. I find it very disconcerting that you were warned in front of the head by the CoG. It is certainly part of his/her role to maintain order within the GB but your role as a governor has absolutely nothing to do with the head, who is in ranking an equal governor with yourself albeit ex-officio. Discussions about conduct within GB meetings should be between yourself and the CoG. You are elected by the staff to serve as a governor, not by the head.
    It would be a pity to step down, for this reason, as it sounds as if you may just be what the GB needs. I urge you to reconsider.

7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I suggest you send a written question to the chair of governors asking for clarification of the role of governors and asking for advice on the range and amount of questions s/he believes can be asked at a meeting.
    I would understand, however, if you said you don't think it's worth the hassle.

8. Where's Clare when you need her? Dodging the really hard questions again, perhaps?