1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Asking to go part-time?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by BooTeach, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Hi,

I wonder if anyone could advise?

I am an NQT due to finish my NQT year in July. I was taken on on a years contract and fortunately this contract has verbally been extended for another year, to which I have verbally agreed. However, since Christmas, I have been suffering a great deal with Anxiety and have been feeling as if I ought to get out of the job all together! I cannot complain about the School, and my progress has been fine...I'm just so exhausted much of the time and feel that there must be more to life! Despite these feelings, I don't want to chuck in the towel altogether? I've worked so hard and feel if I had some balance I could probably enjoy the job alot more and not be so anxious! But how do I go about asking my Head this? Is this a huge no no unless you have medical grounds - i.e. Doctor suggested?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you. [​IMG]

2. Sorry...not so clear...the query; I want to ask to go part-time come September.

Cheers.

3. As this is an extended contract and therefore new why not simply ask about part-time working or if the school would like to advertise a job share. You don't need to have medical grounds unless you have already agreed or signed a new contract. and now wish to change the terms of that contract.

James

4. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

You have the right to ask and the Head has the right to say no. But ask now, before timetables are drawn up. Our HODs have agreed staffing with SMT for next year, so your request wouldn't get very far unless you had a very strong case and it would be easy to cover your lessons.

5. Thank you both for your resonses. I agree I need to bring this up sooner rather than later and hope to do this on the return to work next week...Eek!

Thank you.