1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Asking to be a HLTA?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by EmmaLRC, May 1, 2020.

1. Hi guys,

I've been working as an LSA for over a year now in an SEN school. I currently have an undergrad degree, as well as other training within the school such as being a speech and language assistant one day a week.

I was looking into what HLTAs do. We only have a couple within our school (which covers primary and secondary) as a couple of them had left at Christmas and Easter. The school isn't advertising posts or even looking at that due to the current virus situation, so I was wondering how I would even bring it up to the head?

Has anyone else here put themselves forward as being interested in being a HLTA? How did you do it, and how did it go?

Cheers

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I've been a HLTA for more than 10 years, since the status was first introduced. Part of my role is to lead our TA/HLTA team, including annual observations and professional development meetings. When we talk about plans for the future, any TAs who are interested in HLTA status are always keen to say so. I ask them if they have the required C or above in English and Maths (and advise them to work towards those first, if they don't have them). I then feed this back to the HT; it's discussed with me, the TA's class teacher and SLT. If the decision is that the TA would be a good candidate, then they will be put forward in due course (depending on budget, we can support one or two for HLTA prep in a year).

As you have a degree, it's possible your school would consider you for a HLTA role without officially having the status. I know some schools do this - we don't. If you have performance management, that would be a good time to discuss it. If not, find the right time to meet with your line manager. Go prepared - have a look at hlta.org.uk where you will lots of useful info about preparing for assessment and, most important, the HLTA standards.

Give it a try - you've got nothing to lose by asking. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Good luck!