1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Asking headteachers about internal candidates...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pocoyo, Jan 14, 2011.

1. I was wondering whether, while visiting a school for a potential teaching job, you are able to ask headteachers whether there are any internal candidates going for the positon?

I have just had yet another interview where the job had already been offered to someone else. It takes so much time, effort, preperation and emotion to go through the interview process. I have been on visits where the headteacher has been honest and said there are internal candidates but very few do this. I am unsure whether we have a right to ask headteachers this question. If anyone has any idea, I would be very grateful.

Thank you.

Pocoyo. x

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Internal candidates don't always get the job so it shouldn't put you off

3. They always have in my experience. lol

4. tangerinecat

tangerinecat New commenter

Indeed. I was the internal candidate, I was just as nervous as the other chap. He could have been the best thing to happen to teaching since 3:15. Plus, the HT knows all the internal candidate's weaknesses...

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

i used to ask if there where any internal candiates,,but the responces where varied.;
    If there were i never bothered to apply as everytime i did so often they got picked........but as they say there is always the chance they might not!

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

not in my school

7. You can always ask. I still wouldn't let it put you off going for a job but I guess that depends how much you want the job.

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I have twice been the internal candidate and not got the job. Both times with very good reasons. would be silly not to apply just because there was one.

I'm amazed that you know who did get the job when you didn't. any time I have been unsuccessful, I've never known who was appointed, let alone if they were internal or not.

9. Yes the last interview I went to the headteacher told me who she appointed. I was a amazed as she was in the interview room for 10 minutes!!!! I had guessed that she had been given the job after that. (It had to be a really bad interview or she had already been offered.) When the headteacher told me who she gave it to, it was obvious. Plus they already had all her documents before she even arrived.
    <strike></strike>

10. As a HT i can say that internal people dont always get job, i do usually interview internal candidates even if not as strong as others on paper but wouldnt mean they would get job. As already said you know their strengths and also weaknesses and also they cant in interview really exagerate anything at all.
    If you want to know ask the HT they will either tell you or for whatever odd reason say they cant but it wouldnt go against you asking

11. Thank you for that bluerose.

:)

xx