1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Asking for references during school holidays

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by cjg44, Jan 6, 2016.

1. cjg44

cjg44 New commenter

Good evening,

I am about to apply for an overseas position and one of the requirements is to provide 2 references. I know who I am going to ask - current headteacher obviously being one of them. The issue that I have is that the closing date for the application is Friday and my school is still on Christmas break. I would prefer to discuss this with my current head and head of department in person as that is only courteous, however we don't return back to school until Monday. Should I email them and let them know I am looking at other jobs or just wait until Monday and hope that the school doesn't long/short list too quickly?

Thank you.

2. jamesandrewpollock

jamesandrewpollock New commenter

The way I understand it is that most international schools will longlist and do Skype interviews before references are requested. From there, a shortlist for interview will be drawn up.

Timescale for drawing up longlists can be quite lengthy; I would drop a courtesy email, and apply.

cjg44 likes this.
  3. cjg44

cjg44 New commenter

Thanks for this - much appreciated.