1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Asking for an applicant below 40

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by sid1913, Sep 24, 2020.

1. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Many of the 40/50/60 year olds still the same) are far fitter and slimmer than many of the twenty-somethings wandering around town. There have been many reports about younger people being more likely to be obese and unfit, which would affect their knees. Some of the super fit fifty/sixty-somethings I see running, kicking and punching in the park could probably manage the job better. Oh well. Women used to suffer from the view that they'd be off pregnant if they tried to get a job between 23-40, now this. Or do they think they're more likely to be happy to work in Covid times-do they think young people are more likely to not understand/care about the death risk?

2. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

From what I see on the UK news, the youngsters ARE more reckless about Covid than the oldsters, though it also appears that an increasing number of younger people are displaying serious symptoms. I agree with you about the vivacity of many older teachers. As a newly-arrived headmaster I was 'encouraged' by my board to bring down the average age of the staff, but whilst there were a few 'coasters' I soon discovered that some of the best were in the veteran age group. As for vivacity, a couple of my lady French teachers, both pushing 60, went to France on holiday and had a great time chanting 'Mitterand, fous le camp! during a demonstration in Paris.