1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Asking for an applicant below 40

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by sid1913, Sep 24, 2020.

1. sid1913

sid1913 New commenter

I see there’s a school on TES advertising for a reception teacher with a requirement that they are below 40 years of age.

Is this common? I admire their honesty (perhaps ‘admire’ is too strong a word) however, in a culture of Black Lives Matter, Trans Lives Matter etc etc...surely, Middle-aged lives matter?

2. Jeremyinspain

Jeremyinspain Occasional commenter

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/informatio.../discrimination-rights/ageism/ageism-at-work/

This quote is lifted from the AgeUK document, linked above:

"While the Equality Act 2010 protects you from age discrimination at work or when applying for a job, there is an exception in the law which applies to age discrimination only.

An employer can make a decision based on someone's age if they can show that it is objectively justified and proportionate. This should only be a defence in a limited number of circumstances and doesn't mean that employers have 'free reign' to discriminate against older workers."

agathamorse likes this.
  3. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I should imagine the preferred candidate should also be female, long blonde hair and blue eyes.

4. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Sounds very like my dentist. She mentioned the other day that she's in the market for a fella. Then she asked me a number of questions about compatibility. I felt quite flattered. Then the penny dropped that she was interested in my son.

5. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Not common. Certainly not in writing.
    Schools function best with a mix of ages, each bringing something different to the table. On that note, perhaps the school needs young ideas to balance an older staff. Or perhaps they just want someone cheap.

agathamorse and Milkwithtwo like this.
  6. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Under 40 doesn't necessarily equate with cheap. I've been expensive since I was well under 30. As gulfgolf suggests, it's probably more to do with ideas and vivacity. And Infants teachers also need good knees.

agathamorse and b7031475 like this.
  7. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

That’s illegal under the 2010 equality act as age is a protected characteristic. Do you have a link?

agathamorse likes this.
  8. sid1913

sid1913 New commenter

9. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

The Equality Act does not usually apply to overseas employment and this school is in Romania.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. february31st

I am sure a country that is within the EU is covered by the 100s of laws that make discrimination of any kind illegal!

11. Rott Weiler

I have no idea what the law in Romania says. I said that UK law, specifically the Equality Act 2010 (which was being cited as the relevant law), doesn't apply in Romania

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  12. february31st

European Laws surpasses those at a national level, or is it only in the UK that the ECHR is superior to national laws and courts?

13. Rott Weiler

I have told you @february31st that I know nothing about the law in Romania so there's no point in trying to drag me into a debate on what Romanian law says or whether the ad in question complies with Romanian law. As I've said twice, and I'll repeat for the last time, the UK Equality Act 2010, which had been cited as the relevant law, is not in fact the relevant law in this case.

14. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

No one said it was Romania. Still, give Johnson some time and we'll have fewer rights again just like others.

15. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

All I can say is, whether you are over or under 40, consider carefully where you apply.

16. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

UK law won't cover Romania, but would it cover TES as advertising a role which doesn't meet UK standards?

17. gafleecey

gafleecey New commenter

Romania is in the EU and therefore the age discrimination legislation would apply there. A quick google also showed a 2019 law in Romania, so the school could be on a sticky wicket if they are reported in country for this.
    They are also stating that they are a BSO inspected school and COBIS member school.
    All a bit naughty methinks.

18. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

Just take it as a warning, that's all I'll say!

19. gafleecey

gafleecey New commenter

The link provided was an advert for a school in Bucharest.

20. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Saw the link later on. You’d think the TES should not carry such an advert?