1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Asking for a Pay rise in january

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by microbiology, Dec 4, 2018.

1. microbiology

microbiology New commenter

Hi

I am thinking of increasing my rate to £5 more this January but not sure how the parents would take it as it's half way through the year.

Any one has a similar experience? How did you do it?

Thanks

2. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I have never done it part way through the year. I feel like I have a kind of contract for that year with the child/parents and only raise prices for existing students at the start of a new year.

I might consider an increase for any new students though.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. gainly

gainly Occasional commenter

It seems a very big increase especially part way through the year. I'd agree with sparklegirl, keep it the same for existing students, at least till the end of the school year, but introduce the higher rate for new students.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It wouldn't do any harm for parents to know that fees have gone up but you are kindly holding back on the increase for existing customers until September. It will prepare the ground for then.

Lara mfl 05, langteacher and tsarina like this.
  5. TheLondonTutor

TheLondonTutor New commenter

If I were you I’d keep fees the same for your current students and only increase it for any new students you take on.

I’ve found that current clients don’t tend to be happy if you increase your price, especially if you do it half way through the year.

It’s much like if you were to sign up to pay a certain amount monthly to a water or broadband provider but they turn around half way through the year and say their prices are going up. It’s frustrating and annoying partly because you might have to find a new provider because you can no longer afford it.

However, if you want to charge your current clients more in future, I’d wait until after exams / in the summer when you can tell them what your new prices will be for the coming academic year.

phlogiston and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

But that is exactly what happens, unless you have a fixed rate deal of some kind. Even that goes up when the fixed rate period comes to an end. Variable rates can change at any time, provided that the notice period in the contract is observed.

It does occur to me that a policy of telling people that your fees are fixed every school year might be sensible.

SayItLikeItIs likes this.
  7. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

When I've increased mine I've done it just for new students. Many of mine are adults so school year doesn't make any difference to them

8. SayItLikeItIs

SayItLikeItIs New commenter

I agree with others that for current students it would be best to wait until September. I have just this month increased my prices for new students. In my T&Cs I stipulate that fees are reviewed every September but that parents will be notified of a change by the end of May.

I want to increase my fees to current students by £5 next September. I think this is reasonable taking into account what less qualified, less experienced tutors than me are charging (sometimes with no evidence of qualifications) in my area. But of course my students have all started at different times, with one going back nearly four years and the other only to last August. So the increase I am asking seems justifiable to the first student but not to the most recent. It seems too complicated to have everyone at different rates, so at I'm still considering how to phase it in.

In future years, once I have been able to level the amount, my plan is to make annual increases in line with either CPI or RPI.

9. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

@SayItLikeItIs, one approach would be to send your letter out in May with wording along the lines of "I have managed to keep fees at xxx since yyyy, but inflation means I now have to increase them to zzz." If your increase is similar to RPI inflation or average earnings or something like that, you could mention it. This would show parents of more recent students that this is not a vastly above inflation rise. I increased my fees by £5 in September without any complaints. I prefer to keep them in round £5 units as it is easier than mucking about with change.

10. alsoamum

alsoamum New commenter

I raise my fees in September for existing students and will be giving them advance notice in the new year. All new students will pay the new fee, so existing ones feel they are getting preferential treatment.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  11. SayItLikeItIs

12. SayItLikeItIs

Sorry, Piranha, I don't know where the reply above came from! Your wording is extremely useful, thank you. And I completely agree about the £5. Even if they need change, it is much easier than having the right combination of coins to hand every time!

Piranha likes this.
  13. hoalarg

hoalarg New commenter

I don't see why tutors shouldn't be like any other business, which raises prices when they see fit. I have raised prices in September and January. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.
    Also, introducing a strict cancellation policy can also be a way of increasing revenue. I was getting fed up with cancellations and losing money as a result.

14. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

No reason at all, if that is what you want to do. My own view is that it keeps tutor/parent relationships sweeter if people know when to expect a rise, just as I like having energy prices fixed a year at a time. The better the relationship, the more likely they are to recommend me, or continue GCSE tuition into A level. But not everybody has to do it the same way.