1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Asking children to design posters in class is not teaching, warns education czar

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Skeptical_John, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Skeptical_John

Skeptical_John New commenter

2. install

install Star commenter

Everything has a place in teaching but in moderation.Perhaps the Czar needs to return to the classroom?

He will find students that cannot speak English but love being creative. And learners that only become lit up through the world of media....

How sad that he cannot see what others see.....

3. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

'Design a poster' was always one of my pet hate 'cover lessons'.
    Often too vague objectives if it was a serious exercise- and sometimes it can be given a definitive objective.

PizzoCalabro likes this.
  5. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  6. install

install Star commenter

It was always my favourite -so much amazing work produced and details that really echoed how young learners think and react to the world around them.

7. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Oh dear.

knitone likes this.
  8. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Groups need to be small and the paper smaller - I found "design a postcard to show xxxx" to be a better instruction.

9. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

if used from time to time, for instance when we have been discussing keeping safe online. Then the best displayed wherever children use computers or any other device to go online. Youngsters are far more likely to repeatedly look at a poster that they designed than a poster printed off the internet or bought in.
    Teaching is rarely if ever a black and white decision process.

wanet, cazzmusic1 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  10. install

install Star commenter

Great point. The 'Design a poster' instruction can always come after lessons of analysis.

cazzmusic1 likes this.
  11. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I've seen some excellent revision posters made in science - and then displayed as a resource for others. There's a time and a place.

12. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Doesn't TB realise that teachers get kids to design posters etc, because the curriculum is too boring otherwise?

Oh no he doesn't ...

Writing in the Times Educational Supplement, Mr Bennett said: “Every second counts in a school. Many children won’t get a second chance to sound out letters, learn about Vikings, run their tongue around algorithms and formulae and rhyme.”

"Every second counts!" he says. How ridiculous. Hardly a recipe for a relaxing learning environment.

You get MILLIONS of second chances to encounter orlearn this stuff as an adult, or as an older student.

What he means is that every second counts to compete with other kids to be graded in the hectic nonsensical exercise of contemporary mass schooling. And that's the way he likes it. He's a grader!

13. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

The class I taught last year seem to spend a lot of their time this year making posters. My heart sinks when one of my most able writers comes back to tell me how they've spent a fun English lesson just colouring in the butterflies on their group poster about nouns...

14. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Grammar schools needed I suppose??

15. Sisyphus_rolls_again

Sisyphus_rolls_again Established commenter

I love poster/leaflet work, it lets pupils aggregate all the key concepts on a single page, without worrying about grammar and sentence construction..
    Once they have those key concepts, they can move onto producing an extended piece of writing that builds on them.

I do this regularly..about once a half term on average...does this make me a bad teacher?

tall tales, knitone and cazzmusic1 like this.
  16. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Not if there is genuine learning going on and it isn't too frequently.

But I have visited schools on supply where the reaction has been, "Not another poster!" and the students have thought it a 'time-filling exercise for the supply who doesn't know them' and consequently noticed behaviour plummeting and learners not really engaged. especially when one has every single cover lesson that day with the same objective. Now if there was 'to design an eye-catching poster to remind people of the main points of xxxxxx or to use high-value vocabulary / simplistic language accessible to a 7 year old to design a poster that's a different matter.

abacus1982 likes this.
  17. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

At post graduate level, the poster is used to dissimenate research at a conference.

In the white paper it says, we will not tell you how to teach.

Before telling you that they will tell you how to teach.

England used to be well recognised internationally for education - really! Now we are the laughing stock. To be fair, our good teachers are valued, it is those in charge that are laughed at.

tall tales, cazzmusic1 and lizziescat like this.
  18. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

If there's a purpose to what is being done then it is valuable. If it is linked to specific learning then group work, role play, hot seating does work. The problem comes when the task is thought up ie lets get them to make a poster, without any thought as to why they are doing it and what the learning is.

In terms of the watching of DVDs I've always twice a year used a dvd as the basis of my literacy unit. Cine literacy is fantastic for engaging pupils and getting them to produce high quality writing. Again this has to be focussed and the dvd has to be carefully chosen but when that happens it can be very effective.

cazzmusic1 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  19. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

When attending University Open Days a few years ago (as my children were going through UCAS), I found many, excellent, Russell Group University Science Departments, clear;ly displaying posters produced by BSc students.

It's all about context, Mr Tsar....

20. wordsworth

wordsworth Senior commenter

I wonder if it is Bennett's way of covertly dissing the 'all singing all dancing' lessons. I have only skim-read it but is it a way of advocating a return to the 'chalk and talk' (or the modern equivalent thereof) lesson?

And yes, the making of posters is a valid way for students to re-visit or conceptualise ideas, as any fule kno

cazzmusic1 and Lara mfl 05 like this.