1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Asking a question about performance related pay at interview

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by rizzyp, Jul 14, 2015.

1. rizzyp

rizzyp New commenter

Hello.

I have an interview tomorrow at a college. The college implements performance related pay. I've never worked in a college that's done that before, so I wasn't really sure what exactly it meant. After doing some research, I was wondering how the "performance" bit is measured, as different schools and colleges interpret that to mean teacher performance, others student performance, and, yet, others as both.

Is this an appropriate question to ask at the interview? Or, like all money related questions, is it better left afterwards?

Thank you!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

How important is this really to you in getting this job? Will you turn the job down if it;s teacher performance, or student performance, or both? Is there one your favourite, and if it isn;t that, you will decline to work there?

My guess is No.

My guess is that this is not something that will have any effect on you deciding to take the job if offered. If I'm wrong, then ask at the beginning of the interview so that you can then say I'm afraid therefore that I am withdrawing from this post. And not go through the interview at all.

But if it's just that you want to know, either ask when you are being shown around (if you are) or when you start the job. You don't need to know beforehand!

But do DO need to know what they will be paying you, so do ask that.

Questions to ask at the end of your interview

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

3. rizzyp

rizzyp New commenter

You're right! It won't have any effect on my decision. I was just curious!

Thanks for the advice, Theo!