1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Asked to write reports as a supply teacher?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by ryates65, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Does anyone know what the position is on supply teachers being asked to write report statements? At present I do a regular 0.3 PPA cover in a primary school, but only on a supply rate, not a contract. I am only paid for the hours I am in school, and I already do a lot of prep, and the marking. I have been asked to write report statements for the two subjects I cover (RE and Music - no-one else teaches these, as they only have an hour of each a week, when I'm in). I don't want to appear awkward and unhelpful, but it will take me a few hours to do, that I won't get paid for.

2. Does anyone know what the position is on supply teachers being asked to write report statements? At present I do a regular 0.3 PPA cover in a primary school, but only on a supply rate, not a contract. I am only paid for the hours I am in school, and I already do a lot of prep, and the marking. I have been asked to write report statements for the two subjects I cover (RE and Music - no-one else teaches these, as they only have an hour of each a week, when I'm in). I don't want to appear awkward and unhelpful, but it will take me a few hours to do, that I won't get paid for.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

For me if I've taught the children long enough to be able to comment on their progress, I write reports-it's part & parcel of the job. PPA cover would count & who else could they get to comment on children's progress if they haven't taught them for those subjects?

4. Do you get PPA time, yourself? Do you do planning for your subjects? Are the fulltime contract teachers being given any extra time to do reports?

5. It might be worth asking your agency too if you're employed through one. I asked last term about parents evenings as I had to do 2. The agency said one would be expected but they paid me for 3 hours for the second. It was better than nothing.

6. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Depends if you are on long term and know the kids, if your on long term and have PPa's and non contacts (so effectively a normal teacher just paid via the agency) then i'd assume so.

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If you're an hourly paid LA teacher, the hourly rate covers a pro-rata amount of theDirected Time of a f/t teacher, meaning that you should indeed do the report writing related to your teaching load. However, as an hourly paid teacher, rather than one on a p/t contract, you probably do not get PPA time so I'd discuss getting extra pay for the report writing.
    In the past I've been paid 1.5 days on LA rates for attending a school's Parents' DAy, when appointments started at 8 am and the last one could be 7.30 pm.
    I've also been employed by the same school to write reports for up to 20 pupils (usually done by a form tutor), based on the data collected about them over the year and I've been allowed to claim a certain number of supply days' pay for the task. They used me on Daily Rates only and sometimes gave me the report-writing job when I wasn't even in school teaching during the weeks leading up to the report deadline.

If you are agency paid, you need to read your contract. It might state that you are required to undertake the planning and assessment (including reports) related to your teaching commitments.
    You could ask the school if they will employ you for x hours extra in order to allow you to complete the reports in school time.

8. Jubilee I have also had to write reports as a long term supply teacher though this was in Primary schools.
    I noted what you said about writing reports that were usually done by form tutors. On the CS forum several posts have referred to CS working as form tutors. I wonder if they have had to write reports. If they do they may find that they should not be doing so: HLTA Guidance notes 07 from the WAMG state that HLTAs and CSs cannot be expected to write reports.

9. Write an average, above average and below average statement for boys and a set for girls then cut and paste as necessary. 1 hour per subject and ok if not core subjects.
    Regular work is rare - value it!