1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Asked to return to work with highly vulnerable child

Discussion in 'Staff, pupil & parent's wellbeing' started by nath_donn, Jun 23, 2020.

1. nath_donn

nath_donn New commenter

Hi
    I’m sure there are others in the same situation. My school has had a rota for staff and I have been asked to go into school full time for the last 3 weeks of term. Our youngest son received a “highly vulnerable letter” back at the start of April so we as a family have shielded for 12 weeks. There has been some suggestions from the govt that people/families shielding should not return to work until 1st August? Any views or advice on this?

2. Owleyes00

Owleyes00 New commenter

Nobody shielding or with vulnerable family members at my school has been asked to come back until September. Unfortunately the guidance suggests that those with vulnerable family members can return to work as long as there is social distancing in place. Not really sure where this leaves you, I would ask to see the risk assessment...

3. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

And what about from September? As a union speaker said at a recent meeting, it's not that far away, and surely there are lots of teachers concerned at the idea of returning to less than 2m, especially people like OP?

4. tamuz

tamuz New commenter

Peole often say ask to see the risk assessment.
    What exactly do you expect to see on the assessment other than them saying the risk is managed?

5. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Established commenter

You would expect to see exactly how the risk is managed i.e. will 2m distancing be strictly observed, frequent hand washing, etc.

6. nath_donn

nath_donn New commenter

I think we as teachers all know that realistically it is near impossible for students and staff to maintain a 2m distance. In fact a 1m distance is also virtually impossible to manage. I’ve contacted my union and will update accordingly